• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jimmy John's

wkl

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100502/NEWS/5020365/-1/archive/Blaze+destroys+Jimmy+John+s+eatery

A range hood fire destroys a roadside eatery classic on its 70th anniversary no less.

This is a real loss. Jimmy Johns was a classic place to get hot dogs, watch the model trains, and get a warm hello from the staff when you visited.

I hope they can rebuild, reopen and keep the original vibe alive, but the damage sounds extensive.

Sad.

Edited by wkl (log)

What a bummer. I always made a point to stop here whenever I drove by, just to soak up some of that old-school vibe. OK, and to soak up some chili on a nice snappy natural-casing hot dog too.

But the place itself was a large part of the appeal, so it's very sad to know so much of that must have been destroyed. I can't imagine it would be easy to replace that train set. But I certainly hope they can rebuild, and eventually have a belated 70th birthday party!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com