• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Most versatile Oyster Knife

edwardsboi

In a ideal world, you should have several different oyster knives with different shapes and sizes. You'd want a large oyster blade for the larger oysters, and a smaller oyster blade for the smaller oysters. And, you'd want a sharper, pointer end for european oystes, and a end that curves up for other types of oysters.

But, let's say you're shipwrecked on an island and can only have one oyster knife- which one do you choose and why?

Would you choose a Dexter Russell Boston 4 incher or a Dexter Russell New Haven 2 and 3/4 incher?

I've only ever used one. Hardwood pear-shaped handle, 2" tapered steel blade with a chisel tip. We call it "Richard" because that's all it says on the steel part. I haven't met an oyster that I couldn't open with it.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

We open a lot of oysters and clams, as such if you do that, you will break a lot of oyster/clam knives.

We have started getting our knives from Morty http://www.mortytheknifeman.com/ who not only sells the Dexter line but unashamedly rips off these knives and sells his own versions and his scallop knife is the most popular among commercial fisherman. We also have a few Wusthof openers that come in handy for severing the muscles from the shell.

With modern technology, one shouldn't be without the tools for opening different types of shellfsih. Just use your SAT phone to call Morty, order what you want and have FedEx do an air drop.-Dick