• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Forbidden Fruit Liqueur

LoneSavant

Has anyone tried making (successfully) a replication of Forbidden Fruit? From the meager information I've found, it's based primarily on Pomelo and honey, in a brandy base. I've seen only one detailed web post about a home-effort, and there was no follow-up to note success.

Any insights? Have any of you had/made/used homemade Forbidden Fruit?

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

At Tales 2008 they were sampling some remaining stock in one of the sessions, and I believe it was mentioned someone was working on a possible commercial resurrection (one of the sons of Jaquin & Cie owner perhaps, the guys behind St Germaine, Domaine de Canton and Creme Yvette 2.0?).

Second hand as I missed that particular session, and I haven't heard anything since.

In any event, I haven't heard of any replica attempts, I imagine the limited remaining stock makes it hard to compare attempts against the original.

I have two nips of Forbidden Fruit, one seemingly in much better condition than the other. I've always been curious about it but none of the few cocktails on record calling for it looked interesting enough to sacrifice it for just once taste on a whim...anybody know which would be a good bet? I seem to recall one which was sort of like a sidecar with the FF in place of Cointreau, probably the one I would try if I were going to open them.

I also saw those rumours of Forbidden Fruit and Creme Yvette coming back to the market but the rumoured introduction dates have long come and gone so I'll believe it when I see it.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I seem to recall one which was sort of like a sidecar with the FF in place of Cointreau, probably the one I would try if I were going to open them.

That's the Tantalus from the Savoy Cocktail Book. I had one at Alembic in SF about two years ago, with a house made Forbidden Fruit recreation. Really lovely drink, but I have no basis for comparing their FF recreation to the original.

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

I had one at XXXXXX in SF about two years ago, with a house made Forbidden Fruit recreation. Really lovely drink, but I have no basis for comparing their FF recreation to the original.

Hypothetically speaking, right? :wink:

(you might want to redact the name of the establishment from your post like I did. Just in case. Never know who's reading this. :unsure:)

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes