• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Recipe: "Street Meat"

thatjewcancook

Hi,

I am looking for a good authentic "Street Meat" recipe, ala the stuff served at the Halal Food carts in NYC. I love the one on 53rd and 6th, and it would be great to try and make it at home where I can certify the protein used. Who knows what they are really using, it could be using lamb, goat, rat, cabbie?

Walking by the carts after work just gets the drool going...

I have seen one or two lone recipes using Google, but would be great if someone had some first hand experience making it...

Thanks,

• 2 months later...

I am surprised no one had any thoughts on this.

I wound up settling on something that isn't perfect, but still pretty well and works in a pinch:

Street Meat:

1 package boneless skinless chicken thighs

1 tsp paprika

½ tsp curry

1 tsp fresh ginger, grated

2 tsp cumin

¼ tsp cinnamon

¼ tsp nutmeg

6 oz tomato juice

1 medium onion, sliced thin

2 tbl olive oil

1 tbl vinegar

10 shakes tabasco or similar hot sauce. I use Tapatio, which is hotter and richer than Tabasco but not insane. El Yucateco is also good, but MUCH hotter.

salt and pepper to taste (I like a teaspoon)

Rice:

1 cup basmati rice

2 cups water

½ tsp turmeric

4 cloves

1 bay leaf

1 tsp kosher salt

I serve it with a little salad, a pita and a drizzle of tzaziki...

If you are interested, you can see me making it on my blog (linked in my sig below).

Thanks,

Andy