• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

working in utah

whitesnack

Hello to all! sorry this is my first post and im not so sure where to put it but regardless here goes.

so in a few months i shall be moving to salt lake city Utah because my girlfriend loves it there and so on and so forth.

i hear its lovely but i know nothing of the food scene. i have been working in the industry for a little over ten years and im currently employed as executive sous chef at a small fine dining restaurant. i was wondering if anyone on here could give me some pointers as to the best fine dining there is to be had there for i will be needing a job. every site i go to keeps pulling up the same restaurants but when i read reviews from customers on like yahoo or Google there all very negative. (as nearly all of them are any way i don't really trust it) i refuse to believe there's no upscale restaurants in salt lake!!! any input would be highly appreciated.

Welcome to eGullet!

I can't answer your question directly but IIRC there are some decent restaurants there, maybe not some great ones. The demographics could affect that, but I'm sure good food is an approved vice :rolleyes: I do remember accosting someone with a Starbucks cup on the street to find out where to get coffee! You could also consider the ski resort towns if that isn't too far to commute.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

excellent thank you very much! the real problem wont quite be finding a job it will be finding one that i can feel comfortable working at. i dont wanna be working at place that serves "fry sauce?" which i assume is just ketchup mixed with mayo.

• 3 months later...

i live and work in salt lake at a decent restaurant however it is more of a learning style small bistro rather than a place to make money (the vienna bistro) be really careful out here the scene is kinda shitty to be honest there is a lot of foul stuff being passed off as food if you need to make money go to a big restaurant and avoid places like la caille or market street, park city has it going on and the scene is getting a bit better lucky i am young and just getting started out here it would suck to be stuck down here. definently ask to work a couple shifts first before you accept a job a lot of people i have met come to salt lake to get a cooking job and come home empty handed, with there tail between there legs, or unhappy but as always it all depends on you