• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Schokinag Pate a Glace

JeanneCake

Ever since our cheesecake lollipops became popular, I started using the pate a glace from Schokinag because it's faster and easier.

We have no trouble with the milk and the semisweet versions; I'm having trouble with the white. We are careful to control the heat of the bain marie (the water never boils) and always dry off the pail when finished. But two of the last few buckets of white we've used have caramelized on the bottom, leaving streaks of caramel color in the white (which when it happened the first time, I thought it was rust) and making it unsuitable for anything other than our heath bar crunch and caramel lollipops. So it's not a complete loss but I have other flavors that need white and to only be able to use a half pail is not cost effective. So I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is just typical of this product and I should plan to make more caramel and heath bar pops and live with it :rolleyes:

Is anyone else having the same problem with this product?

Sigh. Since our computer crashed a month ago, we've been trying to get it fixed to no avail. So all I have is the one from the website:

Coffee and Heath Bar Pops

The most popular flavors are the heath bar, oreo, and bailey's irish cream; I'm trying to do some "summer" flavors like pina colada, lemonade (pink lemonade maybe?) and summer drink types. Amoretti just sent me some flavor compounds to try out, we'll see how that goes.

Jeanne, I haven't used this product but it sure shouldn't be caramelizing... I'm wondering if they're reformulated recently, since you have good experience using the product before.

So I'm wondering if you could heat very very gently in the microwave on defrost, say 30 seconds at at time, or even put it in a chocolate melter to make sure there's no spot heating.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”