• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

Here's what I've been doing, as much because it's easy as it's delicious. Works best with a high-powered blender. proportions can be adjusted to suit any taste, so I'm not giving any quantities.

-Quarter a bunch of really good tomatoes.

-peel and quarter some onion.

-peel some garlic.

-optionally peel some ginger.

-Puree it all until completely smooth in blender.

-Pour a portion of it into skillet, preferably one with a light interior.

-Pour the rest into a pot and heat.

-Reduce and brown the portion that's in the skillet. Deglaze with some of the fresh soup, and pour the deglazing liquid in the pot with the rest of the soup

-Add any fresh herbs you want.

-Simmer until it has the level of cooked flavor you like.

-Season

-Optionally swirl in some olive oil or cream

You can do this in about 25 minutes. The browning / reducing step introduces deeper, roasted flavors. Without this step the soup is pink and has a very light / fresh flavor. You can adjust the fresh-to-roasted spectrum of flavors with the quantity that you choose to reduce and brown.

I've done this with canned tomatoes, and it's good if you can find good ones. You probably won't have to add salt.

paulraphael

paulraphael

Here's what I've been doing, as much because it's easy as it's delicious. Works best with a high-powered blender. proportions can be adjusted to suit any taste, so I'm not giving any quantities.

-Quarter a bunch of really good tomatoes.

-peel and quarter some onion.

-peel some garlic.

-optionally peel some ginger.

-Puree it all until completely smooth in blender.

-Pour a portion of it into skillet, preferably one with a light interior.

-Pour the rest into a pot and heat.

-Reduce and brown the portion that' in the skillet. Deglaze with some of the fresh soup, and pour the deglazing liquid in the pot with the rest of the soup

-Add any fresh herbs you want.

-Simmer until it has the level of cooked flavor you like.

-Season

-Optionally swirl in some olive oil or cream

You can do this in about 25 minutes. The browning / reducing step introduces deeper, roasted flavors. Without this step the soup is pink and has a very light / fresh flavor. You can adjust the fresh-to-roasted spectrum of flavors with the quantity that you choose to reduce and brown.

I've done this with canned tomatoes, and it's good if you can find good ones. You probably won't have to add salt.