• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sharp knives in the sink

Darienne

There was a kid in my culinary school class who was dumber than a box of rocks and occasionally left a knife in the sink. One day I found his knife in the sink so I threw it on the floor, put the blade under my boot, grabbed the handle, and snapped it off (cheap stamped knives). I got an ear full for doing it, but he got the lesson. Afterwards though, the chef thanked me for doing what she wished she could do.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

One of my first jobs was as a dishwasher in a mom and pop restaurant. On my first day (Mother's Day - it's a wonder I ever went back), someone put a large, sharp knife in the utensil soaking pan. In my haste to keep up with the onslaught of the dinner rush, I grabbed a large handful of utensils to throw in the tray to wash. The knife cut a huge gash in the base of my thumb. Not having any time to do much about it, I wrapped my thumb with a towel and proceeded to work one-handed until the bleeding stopped. Since that day no knives in the dishwater, by anyone. I was only 16 at the time and a lowly dishwasher, but I nevertheless chewed out the servers and cooks, not knowing who it was that put the knife in there (probably one of the cooks). I was promoted to cook after not very long - perhaps replacing the careless person (it was a LONG time ago so I don't remember). By the time I left that job, I had "asbestos" hands. Now I have namby-pamby office worker hands, but the scars remain LOL.

I do put knives in the sink, but usually only when I know I'm not going to walk away from it. I'd never leave them in there if someone else might be sticking their hands in. Plus, I put them all in the same place with the handle facing me so that I can grab them easily.

I also put cheap knives in the dishwasher - just paring knives and steak knives and so on - but only in the little basket with a lid on the side of the normal silverware holder. They go in blade down and are held upright by the lid so that they can only be grabbed by the handle.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini