• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fire and Knives

maggiethecat

It takes all kinds of guts to introduce a paper and ink food magazine when "Gourmet" has been 86ed. Tim Hayward has intestinal fortitude, bless him.

I admit to having a huge crush on Tim back from the days I was editor of "Daily Gullet." He turned in great writing, on time, with photos and didn't need a single line edit. And as an eG member, he's been nothing but smart and funny.

The photography, the layout, the very weight of the paper makes me happy. And, oh, the writing: Tim's pieces on Vincent Price and the Scotch Thermos are the best of the bunch (well I do have a crush....) but Rejina Sabur's piece about Bengali ladies in London gardening and cooking, Tom Parker Bowles about cookbook collecting... Well, there's never a wrong note or a junk moment.

Petit Propos Culinaires -- "Fire and Knives" has made you so, so Grandad.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I've just got wind of this magazine. Its so refreshing to see a magazine that doesn't read like a cookbook. That has features and essays that I can relate to. I wish Mr Hayward every success and hope to see Fire and Knives for years to come. Thank you Mr. Hayward. We needed this.

Edited by nbaines (log)

@lostinthelarder

Lost in the Larder - the life and times of an inquisitive appetite

• 1 year later...

Does anyone regularly receive this periodical?

Does it come recommended? I almost paid for a yearly subscription yesterday but backed out at the last minute - £32 is a fair amount for 4 issues a year with no idea of the content, size etc.

Does anyone know of a place in London I can pick up a copy?