• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Decent Freaking Baguette -- and maybe a ficelle in DC

Busboy

A lot of bakers make good bread that I like. The sourdough and the rye from Atwater, the Pugliese from Quail Creek, even the some of the corporate artisanal stuff from Pain Quotidian. But I am increasingly convinced that there hasn't been a decent baguette in this town since before the Bread Line got sold. The other day I broke down and bought a baguette from Marvelous Market and it seemed as good as anything around. It's all edible. It's none of it memorable. You know what I need: a rich brown crust that audibly crackles as you tear through it, enveloping a creamy, bubbly mie that taste of yeast and heaven and the finest flour.

And, speaking of heaven, coming back from the morning errands to a crispy little ficelle smeared with sweet butter and enclosing sliced of hard salami or saucisson sec, washed back with a rustic red wine is pretty close, as well. I don't think they exist at all any more.

Any suggestions?

(Anyone suggesting Bonapart Bakery will be shot, by the way).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.