• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turnip Vs. Korean Turnip?

laurelm

Sent my husband to store for turnips for a soup and they were out, but he found what he said was called a korean turnip, I have never heard of it, but it is a large white root veggie. Can anyone help? Is it similar to a normal turnip, a radish, or...?

I cannot find it on google.

Thank you!!

It is probably a turnip variety called Hakurei. They are delicious, sweet and very mild. I get them whenever I find them at farmer's markets as not many people grow them. I don't use them for stew, but rather just as a vegetable side dish.

I've seen those in my local Korean market. My understanding is that it's either a variety of, or a very very close relative of daikon. As a matter of fact I bought one recently and its taste and flavor were indistinguishable from daikon as far as I could tell.

Which means it's rather closer to Western radishes than turnips. It'll still be great simmered in a soup, but--again in my random experience--it'll cook a bit quicker than a turnip, so take that into account.

<i> My understanding is that it's either a variety of, or a very very close relative of daikon. As a matter of fact I bought one recently and its taste and flavor were indistinguishable from daikon as far as I could tell. </i>

This is what I am leaning towards after examining it closer ad with everyone's remarks, the texture seems more like daikon than a turnip... I should find out Thursday when I make it! I may try a raw piece soon, but I had fun looking online :)

Thank you so much for all your feedback!

Edited to fix my html...

Edited by laurelm (log)

The ones in my Korean market look like daikons on steroids. They are a good 4 or more inches in diameter and do not taper like the Japanese ones. The circumference looks just like the very thinly sliced and lightly pickled ones you get as a wrapper when doing Korean BBQ. You can stew them but as previously noted they do not need that much time.