• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sargento "Artisan" shredded cheese

JAZ

A few weeks ago, I was in my grocery store, buying ingredients to make pizza. I hit the cheese aisle, only to find that they were completely out of whole milk mozzarella. I noticed that Sargento brand had a new line of shredded cheese, labeled "Artisan," one of which was whole milk mozz. Ordinarily, I don't buy shredded cheese unless I need a lot of it in circumstances where grating is too time consuming (vacations, for instance). But, that being my only choice for whole milk mozzarella, I figured I'd give it a try.

I was very favorably impressed with the quality: it melted beautifully and had actual flavor. So the next week, when I noticed that the line was on sale, I picked up a package of the Mexican blend (the website's description: "The exuberant flavors of El Regalo™ Anejo Enchilado and Manchego Cheeses are perfectly paired with the smooth creaminess of our own Queso Quesadilla, Asadero and Queso Gallego Cheeses"). I'm not sure about "exuberant," but it was pretty good -- in fact, compared with other Mexican blend grated cheeses I've tried, I'd say it was excellent.

As I said, I don't generally buy shredded cheese. But it's nice to have a decent option in circumstances where I don't want to grate my own. Any other opinions?

Here's the product link from their website: Sargento Artisan cheese blends

I really like them too. The sharp white cheedar is pretty good as well. I buy them in MI when they're on sale for 2.00. They're not in Ontario yet( I doubt they will be). The other flavors of Sargento are here, but for a same size package of shredded, the cost is 6.99. Ridiculous and the ingredients in Canada are not the same as the US. Canada's contain "modified milk ingredients".