• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Engineering no-oil salad dressings

Fat Guy

Liquid Pectin thickens any no-oil dressing nicely, but I've never used it straight 1 for 1. I substitute half oil, one quarter water and one quarter pectin to lighten the fat load, not eliminate it entirely.

Can you give a bit more detail on how the pectin would be incorporated; heat, when to add?

I have heard of using soaked chia seeds to give body to no oil dressings.

Really a no brainer: dump all ingredients in a Mason jar, shake well. No heating, but it's really important to close the jar lid well.

I used this mainly when making a Salade Nicoise which called for a quart of dressing. Never used it for small quantities, so more than likely just used one "sleeve" of pectin and filled in the rest with water.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali