• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sydney Fish Market

Hi Egulleteers Down-Under,

Am on a whistlestop tour of Sydney starting tonight. I wanted to check out the wholesale auction at the Sydney Fish Market. I had read in the guidebook that they open to the public at 7am but I am not clear whether you can get a good look at the wholesale auction or if this is just the consumer outlets. I know they run tours but only Mondays/Thursdays when I'm not going to be around. Basically I want to know if getting up to arrive at 7am is going to yield any decent photographic opportunities to see the "real" market at work, or whether I should plan a more leisurely itinerary?

Thanks for any speedy replies as tomorrow morning is my last opportunity!

Cheers,

Nick.

Edited by nickloman (log)

Nick - my guess (and that is all it is) is that the action will be over by then, 7:00 is the time for the retail bit to open which is seperated from the wholesale bit. It is getting light at 5:30am at the moment and if Sydney is typical of other fish markets the action takes place pretty early. I wish I had seen this last night, I am staying so close I could have nipped over and checked it out.

Hey Phil, thanks for the reply. Funny for the only reply to be from a UK forum regular! This page on the Sydney Fish Market tours site suggests that the auction can be over as early as 7:30am. As it turns out I might be able to go there Monday morning for the official tour which starts at 6:50am. It looks like a must-visit for the food obsessive. If I get there, I'll post up how it went.

Cheers