• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Belgian Waffles

rockhopper

On saturday we had a couple fairly authentic belgian waffles from La Bonte on 17th south of Sansom. The photo is one with pecans inside.

IMG_0136.jpg

The sesame seed looking things are belgian sugar. It's not pearl sugar that you will find in some places in belgium but the cook said it was another kind of belgian sugar.

In belgium you get these handed to you in a little paper condom like a small fry from McNausea. It was a bit hard to cut with a knife and fork so I just picked it up in my impeccably clean fingers. They are made from a yeast dough and not a batter so the texture is not what Americans expect when you say waffle - sort of like that thing in Chicago that resembles my cat's litter box is not what I expect a pizza to be.

The waffle is crispy and chewy. You don't need syrup. They have various things to work into the waffle. We also had a dark chocolate and strawberry waffle. (you see chunks of each in the waffle).

I was hungry and one of them did it for me.

ps

I've seen reviews about awful service here. The guy with the beard who was at the counter and made our waffles was as nice as he could be. I had no complaints about the service.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!