• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Returning to the business...

Tri2Cook

The owners of the restaurant where I worked approached me back in late winter to inform me that they had an offer they couldn't refuse on the business. They wanted me to leave the business with them and continue the catering business we started together. After giving it some thought, I agreed. It was a good move, the catering business has done well and I would not have had the time that I needed to invest in it if I'd continued working at the restaurant. Now that the business is stabilized and running smoothly, I'm kinda missing the restaurant kitchen. So, after some discussion with my co-owners and some key members of staff, I decided on a whim to apply for a position at a soon-to-open local restaurant. I was hired and will be filling the role of pastry chef. Pastry and dessert is my favorite area of work in the kitchen but this will be my first job where it's my entire focus and responsibility so I'm a bit nervous despite being confident. It's a newly-opening place with no reputation to ride on so it will be entirely on my head if the market hates our desserts. :blink: The good side is that the position allows considerable freedom to continue most of my duties with the catering business... as long as sleep isn't actually a necessary thing. Anyway, no real point to this. Just excited.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

At my last job there was this chocolate cake that the pastry chef hated but it sold like mad - the chef would not allow him to take it off - it had a side of warm callebaut chocolate - I as a server would describe it as this "gravy boat" of chocolate - people could not say no - so I guess my advice is that as a server it is nice to have a gimmick to sell desserts - like Keller's coffee and doughnuts.

• 1 month later...

At my last job there was this chocolate cake that the pastry chef hated but it sold like mad - the chef would not allow him to take it off - it had a side of warm callebaut chocolate - I as a server would describe it as this "gravy boat" of chocolate - people could not say no - so I guess my advice is that as a server it is nice to have a gimmick to sell desserts - like Keller's coffee and doughnuts.

People were excited about a gravy boat? were they elderly?