• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pear Frangipane Tart

Prawncrackers

Pear Frangipane Tart

Serves 8.

I am submitting this recipe because I fluked it perfectly first time and I have to put it down in writing before I forget the quantities! The amounts are for a 9in shallow flan tin. Enjoy...

For the Pastry

• 175 g Plain Flour
  • 80 g Cold Diced Butter
  • 35 g Caster Sugar
  • Pinch Salt

For the Filling

• 130 g Softened Butter
  • 130 g Caster Sugar
  • 130 g Ground Almonds
  • 2 Eggs & 1 Egg Yolk
  • 40 g Plain Flour
  • 2 Pears, peeled, cored and cut into eighths
  • 2 T Apricot Jam, warmed

1. For the pastry. Rub the flour and butter together till all the butter is incorporated and you have a sandy texture. Add the salt and sugar, mix well then add a splash of cold water to form the pastry dough. Roll into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and let rest in he fridge for at least 20 minutes.

2. Roll the pastry out and line your 9in flan tin. Cut away the excess and crimp the edge tight.

3. For the filling. Cream the butter and sugar together then add the eggs gradually, beating all the time. Add the ground almonds and flour, mix well. Spread the filling evenly over the bottom of the pastry case. It should fill three quarters of the case and will rise to fill the case nicely.

4. Arrange the pears on top of the filling and press them in gently.

5. Bake in a preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Glaze with apricot jam whilst still warm. Let cool on a rack before slicing and serving.

Keywords: Dessert, Intermediate

( RG2084 )

• Like 1