• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cranberry Chipotle Sauce

zoe b

Cranberry Chipotle Sauce

I wanted to try and replicate a wonderful Raspberry Chipotle Sauce that my mother sends me every year made by a company in Texas --it's a great sauce or glaze for chicken or pork, and delicious poured over brie or cream cheese as an appetizer. I also love it topping a quesadilla made with cheese, sliced apple, and onion.

I wanted to use cranberries--being a New Jersey fruit--and also fresh and inexpensive in the winter--rather than frozen or imported raspberries.

I consulted Anne Seranne--my preserving guru, and also searched online for recipes for both cranberry and raspberry chipotle sauce--I had them on hand to consult, but mostly worked from taste--with a few comparison tastes of the commercial sauce--although I now think mine is better--it tastes fresher and cleaner.

This recipe filled 8-8 oz jars with a small glassful extra for sampling.

• 1-1/2 large jalapeno, chopped fine
  • 5 coves garlic, chopped fine
  • 3/4 c cider vinegar
  • 5 c sugar
  • 2 chipotles, chopped
  • 2 tsp adobe sauce from chipotle can
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 pkg cranberries (12 oz)

Place cranberries in a kettle with enough water to keep them from sticking--bring to a boil and cook until softened. Add the sugar, stir til dissolved, then the garlic, then cider vinegar, stir a bit, then add the jalapenos, and chipotles and sauce, finally the salt.

While this is cooking test often for taste. I think I will make it hotter the next time, but you can keep it mild or make it scorching--I'm making it for gifts so i don't want it too incendiary.

Cook for a while, stirring often, until mixture is clear and thickened--it will reach jelling point very quickly. I stirred in about a cup of water at the end to thin it down as I was hoping this would stay slightly pourable, but it is still pretty thick--next time I will add more water.

Keywords: Appetizer, Condiment, Easy, Hot and Spicy, Fruit, American, Snack

( RG2051 )