• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Curried Chicken Stew with Tomatoes and Rice

phatj

Curried Chicken Stew with Tomatoes and Rice

This was a recipe I came up with using on-hand ingredients, and it was fantastic. I made it with store-bought curry powder because I discovered when I started that I was out of my homemade powder and didn't want to take the time to toast & grind spices.

• 1 T Ghee/clarified butter, or regular butter, or neutral vegetable oil
  • 2 c sliced onion
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
  • salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 c chopped cooked chicken
  • 1 c diced tomato
  • 1 T minced or pressed garlic
  • 2 T curry powder
  • 2 T flour
  • 3 c chicken stock
  • 1 c plain yogurt
  • 1/2 c buttermilk
  • 2 c halved cherry or grape tomatoes
  • 2 c cooked rice
  • Fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
  • Scallions, thinly sliced

1. Heat ghee/oil in a large stockpot or dutch oven over medium-high heat; add sliced onion and season with crushed red pepper, salt & black pepper. Sauté over high heat for a couple of minutes, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and sweat, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and most liquid has evaporated, ~10 minutes.

2. Increase heat to medium-high, add chopped chicken and sauté until heated through; add diced tomato, garlic and curry powder (and other spices if applicable) and sauté until tomato pieces begin to break down, ~5 minutes.

3. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute.

4. Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer; reduce heat to medium-low and cook undisturbed for ~15 minutes.

5. Add yogurt, buttermilk, tomatoes and rice; bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for ~5 minutes.

6. Serve garnished with basil and scallions.

Keywords: Main Dish, Soup, Intermediate, Chicken, Hot and Spicy

( RG2023 )