• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Phenomenal Food Processor Brownies

paulraphael

Phenomenal Food Processor Brownies

Serves 30 as Dessert.

This is a subtle variation on a longtime family recipe. It's fast, easy, and almost foolproof. I traced the original recipe back to Maeda Heatter, but the source of the food processor methodology has long been lost. Probably an interpretation from an appliance cookbook.

These brownies are remarkably dense and fudgy, and incorporate more chocolate by weight than any other brownie recipe I've come across. They are the best brownies that I've tasted made from inexpensive chocolate (Bakers or Nestle, etc. from the supermarket). In fact, this recipe does not work properly when made with high end couverture chocolate. The higher percentage of cocoa solids keeps the the starches from setting properly and the brownies fall apart. For my favorite high end brownies, take a look at my Heart of Darkness Brownie recipe, also in RecipeGullet.

• 1 lb bittersweet chocolate, at room temperature, cut in 1/2 inch chunks 448g
  • 4 eggs 200g
  • 1 TB vanilla extract 12g
  • 1-1/4 c sugar 190 g
  • 1 c (2 sticks) unsalted butter 224g plus 1TB for greasing pan
  • 2/3 c sour cream 160 g
  • 1/2 c all-purpose unbleached flour 63g
  • 1 tsp salt 5g
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder 1.6g
  • 1 c bittersweet sweet chocolate chunks (optional)
  • 2 T cocoa powder, for dusting pan

1. Use 1 tablespoon butter to coat an 9 by 13 inch baking pan. Dust lightly with cocoa; set aside. Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

2. Mix sugar and butter in small saucepan. Whisk over medium heat until sugar partly dissolves and mixture thickens.

3. Use metal blade in food processor. Add 1/4 of the chocolate to processor. Pulse several times tobreak up large pieces, then process continually until small beads form. While machine is running, drop remaining chocolate pieces through food chute one at a time. Process to small bead texture.

4. Add eggs and vanilla. Pulse once or twice to mix.

5. With machine running, pour hot butter mixture quickly through food chute. Process 20 seconds.

6. add sour cream. Process 5 seconds.

7. Add four, salt, baking powder. Process with 8 to 10 half-second pulses to mix in dry ingredients. Batter will be very thick.

8. Pour batter into prepared pan. Smooth top. Sprinkle chocolate chunks on top. Bake at 300 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center is withdrawn clean, but not dry. Cool to lukewarm. Slice with sharp knife while still warm. Cool to room temperature.

Keywords: Dessert, Food Processor, Easy, Chocolate, Brownies/Bars

( RG2007 )

Notes from the underbelly