• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saffron Lemon Bread (sans plastique fondu)

srhcb

Saffron Lemon Bread (sans plastique fondu)

After my first attempt to make this bread proved disasterous, I waited a couple weeks, regrouped, made minor adjustments to the recipe, and tried again.

This time I got beautiful results. The subtle flavors blend together beautifully in a brioche style bread. It's really good with cold, hard butter!

And, this time, I didn't have to clean the oven afterwards.

• 3/4 c milk
  • 1/2 c butter
  • 1/2 c white sugar
  • 1 tsp loose saffron threads (.5 grams)
  • 1/4 c hot water
  • 1 pkg active dry yeast
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp Penzeys Baking Spice (or ground cinnamon)
  • 1 T minced salt-preserved lemon-rinsed (or grated lemon zest)
  • 4 c all-purpose flour

1. Heat the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat; add butter, sugar and stir until melted. Let cool until lukewarm. In a small bowl, soak the saffron in the hot water, let cool until lukewarm, drain and reserve the liquid.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk mixture with the reserved saffron water and eggs. Add the yeast and stir to dissolve. Add the salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, lemon zest and 3 cups of the flour; mix well. Add the remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.

3. Lightly oil a large mixing, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.

4. Form the dough into either one 9 x 5 loaf or (my preference) four 5 x 3 loaves. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.

5. Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven to internal temp of 190 degrees F, (approx 50 to 55 minutes for 9 x 5 loaf or 30-35 min for 5 x 3 loves), or until golden brown and the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove to a wire rack and cool.

Keywords: Intermediate, Bread

( RG1960 )