• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Georgetown?

foodgeek

It looks like I'll have a free day in DC coming up and figured i'd wander Georgetown and see the shops. I need somewhere inexpensive to eat. Ethnic or regional American would be good, but I'm open to suggestions.

Alternate idea:

Anything inexpensive and good in Chinatown? The Burmese place? The BBQ joint? I realise Chinatown is small so i would have to hit another nabe as well to kill the time. (I've already hit the museums and Adams Morgan though.)

-Jason

There used to be a good vietnamese restaurant by Riggs Bank, I dont know if it is still there.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I detest Georgetown for a long and boring, over-worked list of reasons. If I was there and had to eat something, I'd probably try to buy some cheese and a baguette at Dean and Deluca and see if they'd let me sit in their cafe to eat it. (D&D, imo, is the only serious reason to visit Georgetown.) I've dined very little at the high end in the area because of my distaste for the neighborhood, but you didn't want higher-end anyway. After I ate my cheese and bread I might walk up to Thomas Sweet for ice cream on Wisc Ave.

As for Chinatown: I don't like Tony Cheng's too much. I have heard terrific things about Burma, but have not been there personally. Chinatown DC is mostly dead anyway. You'll find better Chinese food in Rockville, perhaps in Arlington, or of course back home in NY.

I detest Georgetown for a long and boring, over-worked list of reasons. If I was there and had to eat something, I'd probably try to buy some cheese and a baguette at Dean and Deluca and see if they'd let me sit in their cafe to eat it. (D&D, imo, is the only serious reason to visit Georgetown.) I've dined very little at the high end in the area because of my distaste for the neighborhood, but you didn't want higher-end anyway. After I ate my cheese and bread I might walk up to Thomas Sweet for ice cream on Wisc Ave.

As for Chinatown: I don't like Tony Cheng's too much. I have heard terrific things about Burma, but have not been there personally. Chinatown DC is mostly dead anyway. You'll find better Chinese food in Rockville, perhaps in Arlington, or of course back home in NY.

Thanks for the suggestions every1

Malawry:

I hate to admit it....but if I go to Geaorgetown...food isn't my primary concern..I want to walk around and look at the shops. But...since I can't go anywhere for a signifacent portion of the day and not eat (hopefully good food)...I figured I'd ask for some suggestions. I have a day (Friday) to kill while my g/f is at work. I've already done most of the museums, and walked Dupont Circle and Adam's Morgan...so i'm running out of things to do that will amuse me for a day.

I actually did get some Georgetown recommendations from elsewhere...so georgetown is still in the running. :)

As a far as Chinatown...I asked about the Burmese place since we don't have much of that (worth mentioning) here (in NYC). Its just that i would need to find stuff to do besides Chinatown since its so small.

----

BTW, did you go to Grand Sichuan Sunday? You never did message me about it.

-Jason

Georgetown has really changed over the years, Jayask. Ethnic or regional American? Fat chance.

Rochelle's right about Georgetown, I'm afraid, though we may have different reasons for our mutual dislike. I've worked, lived, eaten and hung out there for 20+ years. In short, there are no places I'd recommend at the low to middle end anymore or food that isn't being done much better elsewhere, and it is uneven, inconsistent and underwhelming at the higher end. Post reviewer Tom Sietsema recently wrote that he feels Michel Richard (of Citronelle in Georgetown) is the best chef in DC by miles, though based on recent experiences (admittedly subjective) I'm not as captivated by the effort, value or consistency of the Citronelle experience.

Instead, if I found myself forcibly adrift in Georgetown I'd recommend a lunch or tea at the Four Seasons. Their talented new chef, Doug Anderson by way of Vancouver, and a new wine director have swept in with fresh ideas and concepts--well, as fresh and interesting as they can be given the historically conservative nature of the clientele and city. Not at the level of Citronelle. I'd do a fixed price lunch or tea there--snuggle into a comfy sofa in the lounge with my iBook and type away the afternoon or watch a DVD while sipping wine--but I realize that isn't what you're looking for. Last time I was there Douglas and his pastry chef, David Rexford, were bringing in some very fine handmade chocolates from Thomas Haas, nee of Daniel in NYC.

Georgetown once had legitimate options for high quality Vietnamese, Indian and Ethiopian food but no longer. D&D prepared food seems more perfunctory than special. Tahoga has changed over too many times; Senses has since closed, but was once a gem of a little French restaurant when Xavier Deshayes was cooking there--in fact, Xavier might have been doing the best French cooking in the city beside Michel Richard. He's since moved on to run the Ronald Reagan Building. The serene little Chinese tea and dumpling shop just off Wisconsin & M had promise but was never special for the food even in its best day. For all I know it has closed. Chi Ching something or other.

You'd really have to catch an even 30's bus or walk 20 minutes farther up Wisconsin to get halfway decent options that would fit your budget--Rocklands, Faccia Luna, Bistrot Lepic, Heritage India--but that is getting into Glover Park and not technically Georgetown and even further up just past the National Cathedral is Two Amy's--all of which I'd recommend over anything in Georgetown.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

I've ben visiting the area on and off for over 2o years and agree that the shine has definately come off Georgetown. I understand the residents and businesses lobbied hard for there NOT to be a Metro stop as they felt that it would introduce an "unseemly" element into the neighborhood. As a result, there is no way to get there without a 20 minute minumum search for a parking space and subsequent parking ticket because you could not decipher the 4 paragraph parking signs (Parking only for earth colored vehicles with automatic transmissions on even numbered days in months that contain an "R" during the first and third phases of the moon...).

As a result most of the folks frequenting the area are locals, panhandlers and bucket boys. The municipal income of the area seems to be fines for code violations by businesses and parking tickets. As a result any decent businesses have relocated elsewhere.

It may be somewhat contrived, but in my opinion the type of atmosphere with shops, galleries and small ethnic restaurants you are seeking is more likely found in Old Town Alexandria

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I've ben visiting the area on and off for over 2o years and agree that the shine has definately come off Georgetown.  I understand the residents and businesses lobbied hard for there NOT to be a Metro stop as they felt that it would introduce an "unseemly" element into the neighborhood.  As a result, there is no way to get there without a 20 minute minumum search for a parking space and subsequent parking ticket because you could not decipher the 4 paragraph parking signs (Parking only for earth colored vehicles with automatic transmissions on even numbered days in months that contain an "R" during the first and third phases of the moon...).

As a result most of the folks frequenting the area are locals, panhandlers and bucket boys.  The municipal income of the area seems to be fines for code violations by businesses and parking tickets.  As a result any decent businesses have relocated elsewhere.

It may be somewhat contrived, but in my opinion the type of atmosphere with shops, galleries and small ethnic restaurants you are seeking is more likely found in Old Town Alexandria

Thanks guys.

Old Town Alexndria, done that, I have a relative around there. Any other suggestions then? Has to be by metro

I really may wander Georgetown...but maybe I'll head elsewhere for food. I wouldn't be driving, btw. Theres a short shuttle bus from the metro.

-Jason

Ehh, put on your walking shoes and hoof it from the blue and orange line Foggy Bottom Metro stop. I don't like to shop in Georgetown much, but there are a few places I like to visit there which are not duplicated elsewhere in DC (Dean and Deluca for goodies, Commander Salamander for clubwear, a few other places...) When I am there I usually pick up a few treats from D&D...the few cheap eats I've sampled in Georgetown have suck-diddly-ucked (Fattosh, Zed's, Saigon Inn, Bistro Francais, etc etc).

Edemuth and I did make it to GSIM, and I am a total wanker for not messaging you about it. :unsure: I hope you can forgive me. We did enjoy the fresh-killed kung pao, and one of the dishes from the TV series (the spicy pickled veggie one, forget the name).

Edemuth and I did make it to GSIM, and I am a total wanker for not messaging you about it.  :unsure: I hope you can forgive me. We did enjoy the fresh-killed kung pao, and one of the dishes from the TV series (the spicy pickled veggie one, forget the name).

No problem :)

-Jason

Rocklands

god, how I miss that place...

you can buy prepared food at D&D, have them heat it up, and then sit and eat it in their cafe. i heartily recommend the crab cakes. one is truly a meal in itself and they give you a tasty remoulade to go with it.

or, just grab a pint at the Tombs

I wound up walking Dc but not hitting Georgetown. I walked the smithsonian, chinatown, dupont circle, adams morgan, etc...eventually eating at Capital Q. Thanks for the help guys. I'll save all the info you gave me for next trip. :)

-Jason

This is after the fact, but it's my two cents worth on eating in Georgetown. If your visit had been on Sunday (or maybe any other day around noonish), we would have recommended Clyde's. My wife believes that the definition of Sunday brunch is Clyde's in Georgetown. It comprises a combination of atmosphere and well done pub food.

LARRY WIENER

LARRY W

My wife is taking her mother and sister to Georgetown in a couple weekends. They have never been there. They are staying at 4 Seasons.

Where would be a good place in Georgetown to go to dinner? No ethnic food. Not as expensive as Citronelle, but it doesn't need to be a budget place. The hotel suggested Cafe Milano or Mendocino Grill--are they any good? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Never been to Mendocino Grill, but Milano is a bit of a "see and be seen" place (I once saw Hugh Grant there). Food is pretty good, upscale italian - it is pricey, however. If a fashionable scene is their preference, go for it. Could make a good spot for a girls' night out dinner it seems to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Mendicino's been under new management (with a new chef I believe) for a few months, and things are going quite well for them. Troy is a great GM/Maitre'd and the bartenders are all pretty wine-savvy. The food that I've had there has been really good (not exceptional, but really good), and the atmosphere is very nice. The wine list is all West Coast US stuff, which narrows down the selections a bit more than I personally like, but it's good for what it is. While I also think that Georgetown has crap food for the most part, I've had good times at Mendicino. I'll also give Enzo at Filomena my money, though the atmosphere of that place is way over the top on the kitsch scale. I wouldn't eat at Milano if you paid me since what you were paying me probably wouldn't cover the price of my meal. The pizza at Paulo's is pretty decent, though I wouldn't go out of my way for it, and Chopsticks on Wisconsin has good sushi if you're in the neighborhood. The biggest problem with Georgetown is that the few good spots to eat aren't big, flashy, hot spots. They're more hole-in-the-wallish places with food that's good for what it is. Oh, and I'll give an honorable mention to Miss Saigon as they've been my refuge from reality more than once. They're overplayed, but the spring rolls are good, and the beef barbecue with vermicelli is passing fair (if not nearly the best I've ever had).

sorry, not impressed with rocklands. compared and think famous dave's does ribs better!

friend works at rocklands (gtown) and agrees

ribs not supposed to fall off bone.

they have little flavor!

brisket ok sandwich ok

will compare to 'capitol q' and report.

clydes?

might as well go to cheesecake factry in fshts

Edited by dave88 (log)

I still have a soft spot for Au Pied De Cochon, but for the most part G'town does not pop into my head when I'm looking for a place to eat - except maybe a sandwich at Dean & Deluca.

Actually, since the Biograph closed, I rarely go to Georgetown at all.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme