• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One-Quarter English Muffin Bread

srhcb

One-Quarter English Muffin Bread

This is my version of a recipe from the Book that came with my KitchenAid Stand Mixer. I call it One-Quarter English Muffin Bread because I'm one-quarter English!

This bread is made to be toasted, or made into grilled sandwiches.

• 2 c milk
  • 1/2 c water
  • 5 c all-purpose flour (4 oz per cup) *
  • 2 T active dry yeast
  • 1 T sugar
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • cornmeal
  • * or substitute 1-2 cups whole wheat flour

Combine milk, water, salt and sugar in small saucepan. Heat over low heat until liquids are very warm (120-130).

Combine 4 cups flour, yeast, and baking soda in mixer bowl.

Attach bowl and dough hook. (That's what KitchenAid says. I use the paddle attachment.) Turn to speed 2 and mix for 15 seconds. Gradually add warm liquids to flour mixture. Mix 1 minute longer. Continuing on Speed 2, add remaining flour. Knead on Speed 2 for 2 minutes longer. Dough will be very sticky.

Spread dough into two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch loaf pans that have been greased and sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise in warm place, free from draft, for about 45 minutes.

Bake at 400 for 25 minutes, remove loaves from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.

Be sure to save a couple slices for fresh bread crumbs to make my forthcoming Meatloaf #400 Recipe, plus some bread to toast for meatloaf sandwiches afterwards!

Keywords: Bread, Intermediate, Stand Mixer

( RG1549 )