• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Irish Soda Bread

Alinka

Irish Soda Bread

I got this recipe from a friend. After making a few modifications, I like to bake it to eat for breakfast.

2-2.5 cups unbleached flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/8 cup sugar (if desired)

1/8 cup butter (ab. 1 oz)

1 egg

1 cup buttermilk

Mix the dry ingredients and place them in food processor. Add butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. This can also be done by hand, using a knife or a pastry blender. Place the mixture in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the egg and buttermilk, then add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix and place the dough on a surface dusted with flour. Knead the dough until smooth. Flatten into a disc about 1.5 inches thick, dust with flour, and cut a cross on top with a sharp knife (do not cut all the way through). Bake on a greased sheet for about 40 minutes at 375 F, or until nicely browned. Cool on a rack.

This is the recipe I got. And here are my modifications:

1. I shape the dough into 2 loaves: one with caraway seed, and the other one with added Splenda and dry cranberries.

2. For the flour, I use 1/2 cup unbleached flour, 1/2 cup soy flour, and the rest is whole wheat.

3. I don’t usually keep buttermilk at home, but I always have kefir, so I substitute the buttermilk with 3/4 cup kefir + 1/4 cups water (because kefir is thicker).

Keywords: Breakfast, Brunch, Bread

( RG1387 )