• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sauteed Shrimp in Latin Citrus Sauce

Curlz

Sauteed Shrimp in Latin Citrus Sauce

Serves 12 as Appetizeror 6 as Main Dish.

This is my variation on a recipe printed in the June 2004 Cooking Light magazine; they call for it to be made with four chicken breasts, but I read it and immediately thought it would be great for shrimp, and I was right! I've now served it twice--both times, as an appetizer--but it would be great over some rice or even with couscous as a main dish. It's REALLY simple to make.

I use a 2lb bag of frozen cleaned/peeled shrimp from Costco, and I double the rub ingredients and make 1.5x the sauce. I'm putting in the list of ingredients as it originally appeared in CL.

GREAT dish--I brought it to a BBQ this weekend, and the group decided it was their favorite item of the whole meal! Enjoy...

Sautéed Shrimp with Latin Citrus Sauce

The sauce, also known as mojo criollo, requires very little chopping and provides a tangy counterpart to the cumin-rubbed chicken.

DRY RUB:

2 teaspoons brown sugar

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper

1 teaspoon vegetable oil

1lb cleaned and deveined shrimp, tails on

(use 1lb with these measurements, and increase rub and sauce as you see fit for more)

SAUCE:

1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic

1/4 cup fresh lime juice

1/4 cup orange juice

2 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint

Combine brown sugar, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and red pepper; sprinkle over the shrimp inside a large Ziploc bag and let sit out at room temperature while you prep the sauce. Squeeze limes into a glass measuring cup and add orange juice and honey. Blend with whisk.

Heat vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. add garlic to pan; sauté 30 seconds. Add shrimp and cook for 3-5 minutes or until done. Remove from pan; keep warm.

Add juices and honey to pan to deglaze; cook 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove pan from heat; stir cilantro and mint in to sauce. Pour sauce over shrimp and serve as-is for an appetizer, or over rice for an entree.

Based on a chicken recipe in Cooking Light, JUNE 2004

Keywords: Appetizer, Shrimp, Main Dish, Latin American, Seafood, Healthy Choices, Easy

( RG1107 )

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."