• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hamentaschen -- Yeast Dough

JFLinLA

Hamentaschen -- Yeast Dough

I got this recipe from my friend Judy Aaronson. I assume it's an old recipe since it uses cake yeast. You can successfully convert it to active dry yeast -- 1 packet or 2 1/2 teaspoons. You will end up with a dough that is flaky and not too sweet.

• 1 cake yeast
  • 1/2 c warm milk
  • 2 c sifted flour
  • 2 T sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 egg for brushing

Dissolve yeast in milk. Let stand in warm place for 25 minutes. Sift together flour, sugar and salt. Work in butter. Add 2 beaten egg yolks and yeast mixture. Knead dough.

On a floured board, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut in 4" or 5" rounds (other sizes will work fine too). Put a scant tablespoon of filling in the center of each round. Pinch edges together to form a triangle. Place on a greased cookie sheet(I actually prefer parchment). Cover and let rise for 1 hour. Brush tops with an egg that has been beaten with 1 or 2 tablespoons water.

Bake at 350 for about 18-20 minutes.

Keywords: Dessert, Snack, Cookie, Jewish, Kosher

( RG875 )

So long and thanks for all the fish.