• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Enchilada Sauce

sladeums

Enchilada Sauce

Serves 12.

This is a standard, all-purpose, workhorse enchilada sauce. It can be tweaked real easily w/ mexican oregano, epazote, more chiles or you can sub a couple different dried chille for a coupl of the anchos...but I really like it just the way it is. Nice simple chile sauce. If you find it is too hoat increase the amount of milk or decrease the chiles - you will likely have to reduce it more to get the proper consistency.

NOTE: The most important step here is frying the sauce - the oil should be quite hot when you add the sauce and should spatter and spit and sputter quite a bit. If it doesn't your oil isn't hot enough. This will also splatter all over your stovetop, so if you'd prefer it can easily be done in a deeper pot instead of a skillet.

• 5 anchos - seeded, stemmed and deveined
  • 2 c whole milk
  • 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
  • 2 T oil
  • 1 T sugar
  • salt

Cover the chiles with hot water and soak for 15 minutes. Pour off the water, tear the chiles into several pieces and throw in a blender. Blend the chiles with the garlic and milk until very smooth.

Heat oil in a large skillet until very hot (see NOTE above), dump the sauce in the hot oil and fry over med/high heat for a few minutes - add the sugar and a pinch of salt. Continue to fry over med/high heat until thickened and somewhat reduced, about 10 minutes or so.

Keywords: Easy, Sauce, Mexican, Hot and Spicy

( RG378 )

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.