• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cornbread Salad

Jaymes

Cornbread Salad

From the cornbread thread.

The next morning after making cornbread, people in the South often have corn bread cereal (crumbled corn bread with or without sweetener like sugar or honey or molasses and milk poured over) or cornbread salad, which is delicious.

• 1 pan (8x8) cornbread, baked, cooled & crumbled (for ease, just use 1 box Jiffy or other favorite cornbread mix)
  • 1 c chopped fresh tomatoes
  • 1 c chopped celery
  • 1/2 c chopped green bell pepper
  • 1 bunch green onions with tops, chopped
  • 1 c mayo or Miracle Whip
  • salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients thoroughly, cover and chill overnight

There's a southwestern version where you use Mexican-style cornbread mix, and you can add some canned (drained) kidney, pinto, chili or Ranch Style beans. Many people add a can of corn, also drained. Some use 1 pkg Hidden Valley Original Dressing mix (prepared) instead of the mayo or Miracle Whip. A friend always puts in 1/2 C chopped sweet pickles, or some sweet pickle relish, and 1/4 cup sweet pickle juice. Lots of the "church potluck" women top this with some grated cheese, either Cheddar or Parmesan. I've also seen crisp bacon pieces, and pimentos, and pecans.

This is very versatile - and you can add pretty-much whatever you want.

It is really, really good though - and a nice substitute for potato salad at BBQs and hotdog/hamburger cookouts.

Keywords: American, Salad, Kosher

( RG239 )

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.