• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green curry

snowangel

Green curry

Be careful not to shake the can of coconut milk.

I learned to make this when I was growing up in Thailand.

I use Maesri or Maeploi curry paste.

You can use boneless chicken breasts (1 or 2), cut up into bite-size pieces, or go the more traditional route, which is to take a cleaver to a few pieces of chicken -- with bones in -- wacking them into 1-2" chunks. If you go the latter route, simmer (over very low heat) longer.

• 1 Can coconut milk
  • T Green curry paste
  • Chicken (see intro above)
  • 1 Onion (optional, cut into wedges)
  • Small, round, white and green Thai eggplants, halved or quartered, depending on size
  • Pinch sugar
  • Nam pla (fish sauce) to taste; I prefer Tiparos brand
  • 1 Handful Thai holy basil leaves

Open can of coconut milk carefully with can opener (not church key). Spoon thick coconut cream into saucepan over medium/high heat. Coconut milk will separate; stir in curry paste. Cook for a minute or so, then gradually add coconut milk. NOTE: I often reserve a couple of tablespoons of coconut cream so if the curry is not spicy enough, I can heat this up, add more curry paste and add to the finished curry. When at a simmer, reduce heat and add chicken.

If you've used cut-up boneless breasts, cook for just a few minutes and then add the eggplants.

If you've used wacked up chicken (including dark meat) with bones, cook for 20 minutes or so (longer is OK) before adding eggplants. Cook until eggplants are barely tender.

Taste and add sugar and nampla to taste.

When ready to serve, remove from heat and stir in basil until wilted.

Serve over jasmine rice.

If I'm making this dish in advance of serving, I will usually wait and add eggplants and basil when I reheat just before serving.

Keywords: Thai, Easy, Main Dish

( RG193 )

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"