• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shrimp Ajillo

Rachel Perlow

Shrimp Ajillo

Serves 3 as Main Dishor 4 as Appetizeror 6 as Amuse.

This is one of my favorite types of tapas. I've tried to recreate what we get served in the Spanish and Portuguese restaurants of Newark, NJ.

Ingredient Notes:

1) The Spanish Paprika is optional but very highly recommended (it is worth going out to get it specifically for this dish), but don't substitute "regular" paprika if you don't have it, it would be better to just leave it out.

2) Sherry can be substituted for the Spanish Brandy if you can't find it, but I don't think it flambes the same, you would just use it to deglaze the pan.

3) The amount of garlic is approximate, I use about 1/2 a head, you may want to use less.

4) The size of the Shrimp isn't that important. If they are medium sized "regular" shrimp, it is best to peel and devein the shrimp. If they are fancy large shrimp, especially if head-on, I leave the shell intact. It is messy at the table, but the sensory experience of licking your fingers of the garlicy oil and sucking all the flavor from the heads is worth it.

• 8 Garlic Cloves, peeled & sliced
  • 1/2 c Olive Oil, good quality
  • 2 lb Shrimp (see notes above)
  • 1 tsp Smoked Spanish Paprika
  • 1/2 tsp Salt, amount approximate, to taste
  • 1/4 tsp Freshly ground Black Pepper
  • 2 T Spanish Brandy
  • 2 T Parsley, minced
  • Lemon Wedges
  • Crusty Bread

Add Garlic and Olive Oil to a large cool pan (I use cast iron or a wok) and heat gently. When you first detect the garlic aroma, add the Paprika and Shrimp and turn up the heat. Saute 3-5 minutes, until the shrimp are almost completely cooked, most of the greyness will be replaced with pinkness, but not all (use a long handled wooden spoon to keep everything moving). Add Salt & Pepper to taste.

To Flambe: Push the shrimp towards the handle side of the pan. Holding the pan at a slight angle (empty side down), pour the Brandy (not directly from the bottle, have it waiting in a small ramikin) into the empty side of the pan. Allow the brandy to warm for a few seconds, then shift the pan to allow the flames to ignite the brandy fumes. As soon as it flames, stir the shrimp around until the flames die down.

Sprinkle the shrimp with Parsley. Serve with Lemon Wedges on the side and warm crusy bread to not lose a drop of the garlicy oil.

Keywords: Appetizer, Spanish/Portugese, Seafood, Intermediate, Main Dish, Amuse, Expert, Dinner

( RG162 )