• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Better Defrosted and Reheated

fooey

I'm seldom one for frozen over fresh, if ever, but...

I find reheated, frozen croissant (which were frozen immediately after being baked and cooled) to be superior to the fresh product.

The croissant are (seem to be) more crisp, more buttery, just better all around.

Is it psychological? :blink:

Maybe my over exposure to butter when making the pastry and smelling the butter as it bakes lessens their deliciousness when eaten fresh?

These are all-butter, hand-made croissant, French size, not American giant croissant, reheated for 15 minutes in a preheated 350 F oven.

Can you think of other items previously frozen that are similarly resilient? :wub:

Edited by fooey (log)

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

Our grandmothers professed that food tastes better the second day. They told us it gave the flavors time to blend together.

Whether it be a physical characteristic, or truly just psychological, good food that does not require a lot of labor is always tasty and welcome.

Why waste time analyzing it, when you could be savoring it instead? In these times, thank God you have it, and keep going, but that's just my opinion.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

there is no way all things taste better the second day, maybe a couple of things.

you just like your croissant somewhat dry thats all. Freezing it removes water and reheating removes more water, and when you reheat it with such lower amounts of moisture it will crisp or toast up the croissant.

I like moisture and a buttery chew to my croissant, fresh out of the oven.

And if anyone wants to stick by that second day rule, try a scone the second day, or even a few hours after baked.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

You just like your croissant somewhat dry thats all.  Freezing it removes water and reheating removes more water, and when you reheat it with such lower amounts of moisture it will crisp or toast up the croissant.

That explains it. Thanks!

For me, a nightmare is one of those soft, Costco "all butter" croissants. :shock:

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

IMHO there is absolutely nothing more delicious than a fresh, still warm croissant just a few minutes out of the oven!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"