• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Angular wines are explained in many ways, what's y

Don Giovanni

Angular wines are explained in many ways, what's yours ?

When I use the word Angular I am referring to not disjointed wines in a bad way...like the common use as in way too much acid, or a flaw in fruit...that's a angular flaw...but this does not bastardize the word angular in any way...

I use it to describe a positive aspect in wine , it could be the oak giving a nice almond backbone or the fruit blasting out a fruit this is angular in a good way, as opposed to rounded wines that are fun but need to develop a angular nuance...like the profile of popping black pepper...this is angular due to the prominence of the nuance...some people hate black pepper, some love it, but it's still angular...

A rounded wine that is well structured will eventually develop a few prominent nuances...these nuances are angular in a good way...