• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Undervalued" restaurants

Fat Guy

Motorino. It does get a good bit of love but it doesn't seem to have the buzz of Keste or Co. It should.

It's a pretty civilized trip from Manhattan and, while the menu is limited, it's excellent. We all thought it was better than both Keste and Co., after multiple visits to each of those. Also the wine list is incredibly well priced, and the cheese and cured meats selections are top-notch. A group of 5 of us dined well (apps, a pizza each and 2 bottles of wine) and with a tip over 20% it was still $33 a person.

Edited by cganzer (log)

Motorino.  It does get a good bit of love but it doesn't seem to have the buzz of Keste or Co.  It should.

It's a pretty civilized trip from Manhattan and, while the menu is limited, it's excellent.  We all thought it was better than both Keste and Co., after multiple visits to each of those.  Also the wine list is incredibly well priced, and the cheese and cured meats selections are top-notch.  A group of 5 of us dined well (apps, a pizza each and 2 bottles of wine) and with a tip over 20% it was still $33 a person.

I haven't been to Keste, but I've been to Motorino and Co. twice each, and agree. It's just better pizza, and I found the wine at Co. bizarrely expensive.

And I can't get over the fact that what I really want to eat from Lahey is that darned pane de commune, and that costs $3 at Sullivan Street.

I haven't been to Keste, but I've been to Motorino and Co. twice each, and agree.  It's just better pizza, and I found the wine at Co. bizarrely expensive.

Yeah, and not terribly well chosen. Also, they earned my enmity when my group brought a couple of bottles there. Now, I knew they charged $20 corkage, as I'd asked prior to our visit, and I don't begrudge them the fee at all. However, for that price, cheap "Chinese restaurant" glasses aren't really acceptable.

And it didn't make us feel better about the fee that we'd opened the bottles ourselves at home to make sure they were sound, and that despite charging us the fee for both they didn't offer us new glasses when we switched from white to red.