• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you measure glucose syrup?

Michael Gillen

Here is the cut+paste from Chef Greweling himself on the differences between different powdered glucose and powdered dextrose, which confirms what HQAntithesis said.

Chef Greweling also gives an approximate reconstitution ratio, if you wanted to do that (20%).

There are a couple of things to consider:

"glucose syrup" is a very unfortunate name, because it is usually shortened to "glucose"

Glucose is a synonym for Dextrose, which is a monosaccharide. Many industries, including medical, still use the name glucose for this sugar. (think blood glucose)

Glucose syrup is made by the partial breakdown of polysaccharides in starch into shorter chains of dextrose resulting in varying degrees of sweetness, viscosity, tendency to brown, etc.

So...Glucose syrup is not the same thing as glucose (the monosaccharide) resulting in much confusion.

As for powdered glucose syrup....it is simply glucose syrup, which is usually ~20% water, with most of that water removed. it is available in different DEs just as glucose syrup is. This may also be known as atomized glucose syrup, and unfortunately, the name is commonly shortened to powdered glucose.

Powdered dextrose is pure monosaccharide, and is an entirely different animal; essentially a 100 DE glucose syrup with the water removed.

Yes, I would say the poster [egullet poster, student of Chef's] got this one right, but it is a confusing subject, and the post requires careful reading.

If I can be of any further help to you, please do not hesitate to reach me at this e-mail address

Best Regards,

Peter P Greweling

Edited by ejw50 (log)