• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In.gredienti Massimiliano e Raffaele Alajmo

tonto21

• 1 month later...
Just wondering does anyone own the La Calandre cookbook In.gredienti by Massimiliano e Raffaele Alajmo? If so what is it like and is it worth spending 150 on it? I buy my fair share of books and would happy to part with my money provided it is a good book.

I have a copy. I have seen it for sale for up to 350$ cad. Which in my opinion is too expensive. (for almost any cookbook) The photos are really beautiful, they look more like they are presented on a canvas then an actual plate. And the first 40 or so pages are a dialogue between the two brother about memories and inspiration, which is awesome. They talk about there first visit to a Michelin 3 star restaurant in France and about the experience. And the origins of Le Calandre.

As far as the recipes go, it's quite complex, I haven't tried any of them at home. although there's a recipe for sea urchin spaghetti that I would love to try. Each dish has several components to them, a lot of use with the Paco-jet. But also, there's still traces of authentic italian roots.

Overall, I think it's an awesome book. It just depends on if you want to pay that much. It seems like cookbook prices have been going down recently in my opinion.... ex. Alinea, Crillon at home, A day at El Bulli, were all really good bang for your buck.

I actually bought the book at the restaurant for some friends we were visiting in Umbria. Both of the brothers were there that day, so I was able to get the book signed by the two of them.

It's truly a gorgeous book, worth every penny, if not as a cook book, then as a piece of art. I only wish I had bought 2 copies.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Ciao! I am the lucky benefactor of Weinoo's generosity. It's a gorgeous book, inspirational in terms of food presentation, color, texture, balance, etc.

The conversation between the brothers is fun, if a little 'artificial'.

The recipes are tough.. I haven't tried any of them. No Pacojet in the Christmas stocking this year....

But, still good flavor elements to try.

As matter of fact, I think I'll get it back out this afternoon and let inspiration strike.

Hi Tonto, you can follow the links from the official site (there's even a short video describing its philosophy and creation) here:

http://www.alajmo.it/store/dett_prodotto.asp?id=5&lingua=ing

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Christ the nauseous voice over on that video almost made me vomit!

the book is on offer in the UK on the Borders website.

I just can't bring myself to part with the cash though.