• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A town fight to keep their local bakery and win

I have heard this story on a Canadian radio station (CBC) a few days ago and it is now in the New York Time (link).

One of the co-owner of a small bakery in Colebrook, N.H. was denied the renewal of her Visa after a trip back to her home country on the basis that her business was "marginal" and did not provide sufficient justifications to qualify for an investor visa. Ultimately that meant the bakery was meant to close down but the community fought to keep their bakery and presured the government to revise its decision.

It's the perfect feel good story and it reminded me of a few other stories I have heard over the years where similar initiatives were successful or failed.

When you live in larger cities, it is sometimes hard to appreciate the local impact of small bakeries, cafes and restaurants in smaller communities.