• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate storage - does foil affect flavor?

Michael Gillen

Hello all, first post and glad to be here. Been lurking for a couple of months.

I'm new to making chocolate, only made two batches so far. However I just received a block of Callebaut in the mail, broke it up, wrapped it up, which prompts this question: I am wrapping the individual blocks twice in "saran wrap" then once in heavy duty aluminum foil. My concern is that the chocolate will absorb a mettalic taste from the foil. Will it?

Also, for chocolate storage, I know it should be stored "airtight". So am I doing enough? I am putting the foil-wrapped blocks into a "space bag" and then in a plastic storage container (not airtight). Just wondered what others are using.

Thanks for all the great info on this Forum. I've already learned a lot!

Michael

Butter, cheese, cigarettes, tea, coffee, chocolate. All are packaged with some form of aluminum. The aluminum is a great barrier to odours, stops foreign odours from permeating the product.

As far as I know, the foil has no odour of its own......

Michael - welcome to posting on eG - glad to have you on board.

I don't think the foil should be a problem as Edward has said. You could probably even get away with an airtight box from one of those storage companies like Solutions instead of the space bag.

Hi all and thanks for the info! Thank you Kerry for your continued support to me and the rest of the Forum.

Anyone have reommendations for an airtight "storage container"? Someone mentions "Solution". Is that a company? Website?

Thanks again,

Michael

Hi all and thanks for the info! Thank you Kerry for your continued support to me and the rest of the Forum.

Anyone have reommendations for an airtight "storage container"? Someone mentions "Solution". Is that a company? Website?

Thanks again,

Michael

Solutions is a store chain here in Canada (and I'm pretty sure the first one I was in was in California) that sells containers and closet organization stuff.

I think Iris is the name of the airtight containers that I've purchased from them.

Hello Kerry,

I found some Iris containers on Amazon.com however they all seem to be for pet food storage. Is that the same thing you are referring to? Are they suitable for human food storage?

Thx,

Michael

Hello Kerry,

I found some Iris containers on Amazon.com however they all seem to be for pet food storage. Is that the same thing you are referring to? Are they suitable for human food storage?

Thx,

Michael

Sure are - the pet food ones are always the biggest.

Thanks Kerry. I also found something called "Lock & Lock" that is airtight and watertight but their biggest is only 38 cups. I'm going to drop by the pet store today and see what they have.

Michael

Check out this one. Big and has wheels!

Thanks Kerry. I also found something called "Lock & Lock" that is airtight and watertight but their biggest is only 38 cups. I'm going to drop by the pet store today and see what they have.

Michael

FWIW, sometimes a smaller, rather than larger, box is easier to maneuver. Depends on what your storage space is like, and how much inventory you are likely to maintain, I guess.

Karen Dar Woon