• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salsa Huasteca?

I've been trying out a taqueria that features some of the foods of this region - zachuil, bocoles, enchiladas potosinas. The menu says the dish Enchiladas Huastecas is served with Salsa Huasteca but I can't find anything about it. Anyone know what is meant by this, what's in it?

I don't know if it's the same thing as the table salsa which is served steaming hot, thin gravy consistency, and has a little cilantro, a little ancho, maybe more guajillo (?) and I'm not sure what else. It's medium heat and I've become fond of it.

I'm assuming the salsa served over enchiladas would be thicker but what else?

I just looked at the menu I picked up and it says only Enchiladas Huastecas - Five enchiladas con queso fresco en salsa huasteca con frijoles, ensalata, frijoles y cecina. I think the cecina was not listed on the menu board; I've seen Enchiladas Huastecas on other menus and cecina was usually included but I had the impression this was a meatless offering.

I've had the dish at another taqueria some years ago served with skirt steak and a somewhat tomato-y sauce that I'm sure was thicker than this table salsa.

I've been trying out a taqueria that features some of the foods of this region - zachuil, bocoles, enchiladas potosinas.  The menu says the dish Enchiladas Huastecas is served with Salsa Huasteca but I can't find anything about it.  Anyone know what is meant by this, what's in it?

The Huastec region also includes the northern part of Veracruz state. Zarela's Veracruz has a couple of Huastec recipes including one for enchiladas, tho' the sauce for them is a green pipian, and I don't think that would work too well as a table sauce. Take a look at Zarela's book at a bookstore or library to see if the recipes are what you're looking for or not.

I also have the new salsa book from Ricardo Munoz and there are no recipes in it identified as salsa huasteca. There is, however, a Salsa de Chile Piquin de San Luis Potosi using both tomatoes and tomatillos. I'm wondering if that might be close (or not) to the salsa you want.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll check them out.

I've decided I rather like the little taqueria so I'll probably be back at some point but I like a lot of variety so maybe not for a while. I'm intrigued and will probably try the dish. The waitress hasn't been much help so far but I'll ask or maybe I can figure it out.