• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Diwan

Anu

Does anyone know the history--what happened to Patang?

Patang has been changed to Diwan. It used to be Diwan Grill before becoming Patang. And now it is Diwan without the Grill. :shock:

Not sure what happened. But Hemant Mathur used to be the chef at Diwan Grill and now is the chef at Diwan.

After the main course was complete, we looked at the dessert menu and decided on the chai pot de creme, which is attributed to Suvir in its description.  This dessert was exceptional.  The flavors of the spices contrasting with the smooth cream blew both of us away.  Suvir - thank you, this dish was sensational.

Diwan repeated its quality - this time with no forewarning (not that I'm a restaurant critic who needs to hide his identity - we decided to go there after the rain began to fall, and Beyoglu (our first choice, as I haven't been there yet) seemed too far away)).

rstarobi,

I am glad Alexis and you had a good experience at Diwan. Next time, you should ask for the chef, and introduce yourself, while you will not be treated any differently from every other customer, you certainly could perhaps find yourself hearing from him about any specials he could prepare. Or use you as a guinea pig for.

I am happy to know that the Chai Pots de Crème were up to your standard. They have had me worried. I was making them for the longest of time. But now, they are following my recipe. It was not an easy task.. but the last few times I have been impressed. I had been very worried. If you mean it genuinely and not just to make me feel good, I am relieved. I was very nervous about this particular dish. I even questioned to myself if it would be better not having them use my name. I strive to be a perfectionist when it comes to desserts. I live for desserts.. and since I am no expert with them, I work very hard to ensure they are as good as they ought to be.

The papadum at Diwan are Lijjat Papad. They buy the plain ones. And these are roasted before service begins. It is an easy thing to do. You can buy Lijjat Papad at most any Indian grocery store. And within minutes you can roast them and enjoy them. They are great roasted. I do like them deep fried, but something is so sublime about them roasted, that even though I enjoy the fried ones, roasted make me most happy. I can have roasted papad all the time. I tend to nosh on them like Americans would with popcorn. They are my TV food. And nothing is easier to make than roasted papad.

Suvir -

This will sound silly, but how do you roast them? I thought they had to be fried. I assume I can get them at Kalustyan.

Use tongs and roast on your stove top over a medium fire.

Keep moving them around and keep inverting them, so as to make sure they get roasted evenly.

• 2 weeks later...

We ate dinner at Diwan tonight. An amazing meal. The Indo-Chinese cauliflower was great but not as crispy as usual.

The tomato chutney certainly was SPICY and the Okra (karareee bhindi), crunchy and yummy. We ordered a Parda Biryaani (biryaani cooked in its own juices under a curtain of dough), which was delicious and fragrant as can be.

What was most funny was that we had 4 tables in the dining room that were filled with friends. And two tables had eGulleteers on them. What a small world.

The wild boar chops I am told were really great today.. and as usual the lamb chops stole the show.

The grilled shrimp were fabulous to look at and taste. They were Sri Lankan shrimp that not only looked great but also had great flavor.

The Kulfi was an instant success with our guests who enjoyed the great textural contrast between the citrus soup and the Kulfi and also the sweet against the bitter. The Bindi pineapple sorbet got our attention as well. :shock:

Alan and I and our son, Gabe, were also at Diwan tonight for dinner. Hemant made it a memorable birthday for me, outdoing even his tour-de-force at the eGullet dinner last month. We chose dishes we had not eaten at the previous dinner, including the magnificent prawns Suvir mentioned that his table enjoyed. We also had chicken malai kebab (Suvir, correct me if I've got the name wrong), mustard greens, that fabulous okra, crab paratha (with Suvir's chutney), mixed vegetables and lemon rice. Contrary to my usual practice with Indian food, I had a glass of wine -- a trocken German riesling. Alan and Gabe had Taj Mahal beer.

The restaurant is consistently excellent and a great value for the quality of the food and skill in its preparation.

Edited by Sandra Levine (log)

I was there on Saturday night and we had a terrific meal. Only one false start with shrimp that were on the raw side (nasty) but otherwise really good. I do have a question for Suvir when he has a moment. Why aren't the lamb chops neatly trimmed? I can understand wanting them thick because of cooking in the tandoor and you don't want todry them out. But why the irregularity in shape. Why not just the same neatly trimmed, double thick chops that they serve in a steakhouse but marinated and cooked in a tandoor?

Steve the marination process does not lend itself to trimming neatly. IN fact when they do, the thick marinade will still stick and become messy. It is being grilled in a vertical skewer.. so the marinade drips... I think if they did only one per skewer, one could get away with it... I shall work on that this week.. I have always had the same problem.. and now I know others have noticed.. lets see what I can do..

The tandoor and the marinades we use do not lend themselves to that little luxury.:sad:

After January 1st, I shall spend some time on the tandoor and try and flesh this out. I have been troubled by this for over a few years. But I have not succeeded just yet. I am with you on that.

You seem to be the first person that has been bothered by it. Friends (Ed, FG and others) have never made an issue of it. I know Ed eats these lamb chops like they are the last thing he is going to eat. I guess the taste and the perfection of cooking makes him not worry about the looks. Another foodie of prime eminence that I know through Ed, not only loves these lamb chops, but eats several and enjoy eating them with his hands. He also actually loves eating the bones on these chops as he loves how nicely coated they are with spice, marinade and all things wonderful. :shock:

What can I say..... but I am with you, if there is a way I can correct this, I will work with Hemant Mathur and see what can be done. I know he has tried, I know I have tried, and I know we have tried together... nothing more to report just yet.

It does not seem to bother too many people.. fine diners, world leaders or even the ex US President, Clinton. They all found no big deal in this little aesthetic being slightly unusual, as the flavor of the chops more than compensates for what may be a challenge in their looks. They are legendary in their reputation. I am not kidding with you Steve.

And yes being a statesman or world leader of food of premier eminence does not give their opinion more weight than yours. I share their experience to show you another side of this equation. I value each opinion. Somewhere between all of them lies the truth. :smile:

It does not seem to bother too many people.. fine diners, world leaders or even the ex US President, Clinton.  They all found no big deal in this little aesthetic being slightly unusual, as the flavor of the chops more than compensates for what may be a challenge in their looks.  They are legendary in their reputation.  I am not kidding with you Steve.

Please don't make any changes to the lamb chops. You can change the halibut, alter the prawns, but the chops should remain as they are :smile:

M

I can't answer for Tommy, but I found it bizarre as well. Perhaps it was the texture -- except for the flavor I thought it might be extra-firm tofu. For one thing, the pieces we had at the big dinner didn't LOOK so much like chicken breast; small (okay, they could have been half of a half) and rather evenly square in shape. And since that is the one food that almost all cooks ruin by overcooking, its juiciness seemed, well, unusual. And who expects basil in Indian food?? It was just so much BETTER than chicken breast tends to be. :smile:

I noticed a small place by this name on Columbus near 74th St. It may have been there for years, but the Diwan Grill dinner sensitized me to the name. Is this place as good for curry and DG is for its specialties?

Edited by jaybee (log)

I noticed a small place by this name on Columbus near 74th St.  It may have been there for years, but the Diwan Grill dinner sensitized me to the name.  Is this place as good for curry and DG is for its specialties?

It has been open since '00 at that location. I gather they have one more location in either Queens or LI. Went there twice, once; when there had opened, and the last time was in '01. Nothing memorable that stuck out.

anil

I met an Indian friend for lunch yesterday at Diwan Grill. Everything looked freshly made and pristine when we arrived at 11:45. All concerned agreed that the variety and quality of food were spectacular for a buffet.

Since it was not on display, I asked a waiter for some tomato chutney. He promptly brought a dish containing a small amount of reddish purée. It looked like…ketchup. It smelled like…ketchup. It tasted like…ketchup. (Good thing I didn’t step in it.) I flagged another waiter and tried again, this time asking more specifically for the tomato chutney I’d once had at dinner. He explained that it wasn’t normally available at lunch, but served us a full dish anyway.

For the nonce at least, my friend plans to forsake the city's other Indian restaurants.

Edited by ahr (log)

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

Since it was not on display, I asked a waiter for some tomato chutney.  He promptly brought a dish containing a small amount of reddish purée.  It looked like…ketchup.  It smelled like…ketchup.  It tasted like…ketchup.  (Good thing I didn’t step in it.)  I flagged another waiter and tried again, this time asking more specifically for the tomato chutney I’d once had at dinner.  He explained that it wasn’t normally available at lunch, but served us a full dish anyway.

the magic word is "suvir." :biggrin::wink: