• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Diwan

Anu

Suvir...I will take you up on that offer...and will give you plenty of notice...since I spend some portion of 30-40 weeks a year on the road :blink: I have to plan in advance! This will be something I will definitely look forward to....

I enjoyed the (brief) pleasure of your company...and the cabrales too!

I was wondering all day what the Johnsons (Yvonne and g) really loved last night.  As you left, the chef said to me that he was so happy to have had the gang of eGulleteers... And something about an English accent makes a puppy dog out of many of us Indians.. He was so happy.  And your taking time to speak with him and ask him about his food made all the difference. He certainly went home very happy with the eGullet dinner. :smile:

We posted already. Yvonne particularly liked the boar, I loved the crab and we both liked the shrimp.

And can you tell your cricketers to be a bit more puppy dog like around English accents, if only to set an example for the Australians.

I was wondering all day what the Johnsons (Yvonne and g) really loved last night.  As you left, the chef said to me that he was so happy to have had the gang of eGulleteers... And something about an English accent makes a puppy dog out of many of us Indians.. He was so happy.  And your taking time to speak with him and ask him about his food made all the difference. He certainly went home very happy with the eGullet dinner. :smile:

We posted already. Yvonne particularly liked the boar, I loved the crab and we both liked the shrimp.

And can you tell your cricketers to be a bit more puppy dog like around English accents, if only to set an example for the Australians.

I was being greedy for details...

Does India still have a cricket team? I have not followed Cricket in 10 years... Everytime before that when I made an effort.. the team was losing... :huh:

Suvir...I will take you up on that offer...and will give you plenty of notice...since I spend some portion of 30-40 weeks a year on the road :blink:  I have to plan in advance! This will be something I will definitely look forward to....

I enjoyed the (brief) pleasure of your company...and the cabrales too!

Looking forward to working towards that. Travel safely... :smile:

Cabrales is correct. Currently I won't dine with her (although I love her dearly) and if I knew she was going to atted an event I might not attend myself. But if I walked into to an eGullet function (either an official one called eGullet or one where they are only allowed to say, people affiliated with eGullet,) I would treat her cordially and be gracious to her. Wouldn't you do the same Cabby?

Steve thanks for sharing your wine with those that shared some with me... It was a great Riesling.  Care to share the name please.  :smile:

I am happy to know that you and I both are Bhel Puri fans... Maybe I can bring it to an event and make lots of it for all of us... I could eat bowlfuls of just Bhel alone and be very sated. :rolleyes:

Do you remember what Riesling you brought with you last night???

It was very good. Would love to write the name down.

Thanks! :smile:

Cabrales is correct. Currently I won't dine with her (although I love her dearly) and if I knew she was going to atted an event I might not attend myself. But if I walked into to an eGullet function . . . I would treat her cordially and be gracious to her. Wouldn't you do the same Cabby?

Steve P -- I would be cordial and we would probably be chatting away. You'll be amused to learn that I almost attended unannounced as well. :laugh:

Suvir - I'm sorry I didn't see you ask about the wine. It was a 1990 Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Clos Windsbuhl Vendages Tardive. And let's not forget Jaybee's delicious German Kabinett and the two delicious Nigls, one Gruner and one Privat? that Charles Smith brought. Plus we had a special present of a glass of Wilm Geweurztraminer from Damian. I can honestly say our table drank well. All that and a mango lassi, what else could anyone ask for?

Cabrales, you seem incapable of grasping the simple concept that it is not acceptable for you constantly to derail the discussion on this site with your infantile harangues. I'm sure you think you're being helpful. Rest assured, you are not. Consider yourself warned.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Suvir - I'm sorry I didn't see you ask about the wine. It was a 1990 Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Clos Windsbuhl Vendages Tardive. And let's not forget Jaybee's delicious German Kabinett and the two delicious Nigls, one Gruner and one Privat? that Charles Smith brought.  Plus we had a special present of a glass of Wilm Geweurztraminer from Damian. I can honestly say our table drank well. All that and a mango lassi, what else could anyone ask for?

Steve what others do you enjoy with Indian food?

How did your wines compare amongst each other? Was there a bottle that worked better than the others? A bottle that paired especially well with a particular dish?

That Damian is quite the genteel charmer... Knows all the right things to say and do... And yes he is very sharing... Made me into a Yankee fan this year... Ann and he took me and a friend as their guests... and we enjoyed premium seats and I ate like a fiend... (bad french fries that I devoured and Dunkin Donuts)... And was taught the rules of the game by him rather patiently. :smile:

So, just a bit more about the food.

Since I wasn't eating meat or shellfish, Suvir was kind enough to arrange some special fare for me. While everyone was eating what looked like a very delicious dish of Beggar's Purse, which included crabmeat that I don't eat, I was swooning over grilled sea bass and grilled halibut w/garam masala and a mango chutney that was incredible. The sea bass was absolutely delicious, and made me remember a line from a poem I haven?t thought of in years and years. (It's an early poem by Seamus Heaney about trout fishing, and he mentions how the fish "slips like butter down the throat of the river." Nice poem.) And that halibut was tasty and light and delicious as it slipped down my throat like, well, butter.

And instead of the various other meat dishes, I had grilled mushrooms (like no grilled mushrooms I have ever eaten before), paneer (which I really liked a lot), curried hard boiled eggs with saffron rice (delicious) and eggplant, and something else but I absolutely cannot read my handwriting!! It looks like it says vegetable seekh kabab, made with peppers, mushrooms, cauliflower, lentils and carrots, Suvir is this right? They were shaped into sort-of cylinders, and were wonderful.

The okra was really incredible, as others have mentioned. A salty, citrus-y taste, and nice and crisp. This is the first time I have ever eaten okra (and everyone at the table was careful to tell me that this was atypical!). And I agree with everyone's assessment of the cauliflower, it was delicious.

The desserts were great. The kulfi and the sauce (or was the kulfi the sauce?) were delicious, I have never tasted such a combination of flavors -- and sitting next to Charlie was a real treat, let me tell you. I feel a little like that cat that swallowed the canary, he imparted so much knowledge. Also, that pistachio flavored pudding was so good! Now I'll admit that I am an absolute chocolate freak, but really I don't think even the best chocolate could have come anywhere near those desserts.

The various different combinations of flavors throughout the evening were a treat. As were the various different combinations of people. If it so happened that I ate something that didn't agree with my palate, I would have put it aside, but in no way would I have allowed it to ruin the splendor of everything else. The eGullet community includes a large and diverse combination of people, and it's certainly an understatement to say that most people are very complex, not unlike the foods we so enjoy. There are bound to be people who will clash with one another. I prefer to acknowledge that these clashes exist, put those who don't agree with my palate aside without fanfare, and still enjoy the splendor of everyone else. I had a wonderful, enjoyable, and immensely educational evening. Thank you all!

Yankee fan? I hate the Yankees. And to think I poured him some wine!

I thought Jaybee's Kabinett was great. It was slightly sweet, just enough to offset the spiciness in the food. It had nice acid and stones. It isn't a thick and viscose wine like the Z-H I brought. While I enjoyed that wine as a stand alone, it didn't pair with the food overall as well as the Kabinett. I have another bottle here. Maybe I will bring it to Diwan one night and we can get you and Hermant to tandoor some foie gras with Indian spices. The Z-H would be better with something fatty like that. I liked Charles's Nigl's but I think dry and acidic wines like those are better with Thai food or Chinese food then with Indian. And I can't forget La Nina's South African Sauvignon Blanc which was good enough for me to empty my glass.

My nominations for the three most outstanding dishes of the evening were the Bhel Puri on Tawa, Lamb Chop (with Apple cranberry chutney and mint rice) and Karai Bhinidi (Crispy Okra), none of which I have experienced before, and which were all faultless in execution. I also loved the tamarind-based sauce (or chutney).

I want to second Macrosan's comments about the evening and his choices for dishes that live in my memory today. I once told Suvir that Indian food did not appeal to me. I have to revise my map entirely after last night's feast. Thank you Suvir.

The mood of cheer, friendliness and warmth among all attendees (with one ill-tempered exception I was made aware of :angry:--nuff said about that) left me with the feelings that our on-board verbal fisticuffs are superficial to the interests that connect us. This is truly a wonderful group of people. And I am grateful to Jason and company for providing the media that is defining the eGullet community.

I could manage just a plate of eggs today, I'm still satiated from the meal.

So, just a bit more about the food.

Since I wasn't eating meat or shellfish, Suvir was kind enough to arrange some special fare for me. While everyone was eating what looked like a very delicious dish of Beggar's Purse, which included crabmeat that I don't eat, I was swooning over grilled sea bass and grilled halibut w/garam masala and a mango chutney that was incredible. The sea bass was absolutely delicious, and made me remember a line from a poem I haven?t thought of in years and years. (It's an early poem by Seamus Heaney about trout fishing, and he mentions how the fish "slips like butter down the throat of the river." Nice poem.) And that halibut was tasty and light and delicious as it slipped down my throat like, well, butter.

And instead of the various other meat dishes, I had grilled mushrooms (like no grilled mushrooms I have ever eaten before), paneer (which I really liked a lot), curried hard boiled eggs with saffron rice (delicious) and eggplant, and something else but I absolutely cannot read my handwriting!! It looks like it says vegetable seekh kabab, made with peppers, mushrooms, cauliflower, lentils and carrots, Suvir is this right? They were shaped into sort-of cylinders, and were wonderful.

The okra was really incredible, as others have mentioned. A salty, citrus-y taste, and nice and crisp. This is the first time I have ever eaten okra (and everyone at the table was careful to tell me that this was atypical!). And I agree with everyone's assessment of the cauliflower, it was delicious.

The desserts were great. The kulfi and the sauce (or was the kulfi the sauce?) were delicious, I have never tasted such a combination of flavors -- and sitting next to Charlie was a real treat, let me tell you. I feel a little like that cat that swallowed the canary, he imparted so much knowledge. Also, that pistachio flavored pudding was so good! Now I'll admit that I am an absolute chocolate freak, but really I don't think even the best chocolate could have come anywhere near those desserts.

The various different combinations of flavors throughout the evening were a treat. As were the various different combinations of people. If it so happened that I ate something that didn't agree with my palate, I would have put it aside, but in no way would I have allowed it to ruin the splendor of everything else. The eGullet community includes a large and diverse combination of people, and it's certainly an understatement to say that most people are very complex, not unlike the foods we so enjoy. There are bound to be people who will clash with one another. I prefer to acknowledge that these clashes exist, put those who don't agree with my palate aside without fanfare, and still enjoy the splendor of everyone else. I had a wonderful, enjoyable, and immensely educational evening. Thank you all!

Thanks Cakewalk.

Yes Seekh Kababs were what you were also served. This was one of the dishes Eric Asimov mentioned in his review of Diwan. It is made of minced mixed vegetables and they are then shaped like sausages onto a skewer and grilled in the tandoor. Traditionally they are made with minced lamb and sometimes with chicken.. This is not totally uncommon, but executed so wonderfully only by a few chefs.

Hemants rendering of Halibut makes a common fish become a celebration. The Chilean Sea Bass may give you a guilt for you are partaking in its pleasure, but at Diwan, it is immortalized in its taste. It is one of the best preparations of fish I have eaten in my life. Since I am not much of a chicken fan, I end up eating fish and beef when I do eat non-vegetarian foods. Thanks for sharing that poem.. It sounds beautiful.

I grew up enjoying curried eggs. In fact they are one of my favorite dishes. And many a friend of mine that have never found a liking for Indian food before they met me, got converted after a bite of that dish. :shock::smile:

Hemants tandoori mushrooms have been copied by most other Tandoori chefs in NYC. Many other chefs are doing it these days. I love those mushrooms as well.

You ate Baingan Bharta (eggplant dish) with your rice. And also some mint rice.

The Okra is a recipe I came up with as a child. It is one of the simples Okra preparations to make and now many friends and family in Delhi and because of me giving Hemant this recipe 6 years ago, many other chefs are preparing it as well. But when he makes it, he fries it perfectly to ensure it is not too greasy and that the flavor is still nice and citrus fresh.

I have explained the preparation of the cauliflower in the cauliflower thread in the Indian forum. It is an Indo-Chinese preparation. Meaty and addictive. I can eat plate fulls of it and still want more. Wonders you can achieve with Ketchup. :shock:

The Kulfi (you were correct) was served with a citrus sauce. I added a little sour and bitter note to the sauce by adding Campari. I am glad you enjoyed the dessert. It was a last minute idea. We were going to make Chai Pots de Creme but realized that the ramekins had not been delivered.

Your post reads beautifully. Thanks for sharing your thoughts... I hope you will have continued success with enjoying Indian cuisine henceforth. I am glad you were able to have Hemants Indian cooking be your first introduction. You could have not hoped for a better one.

I do like the stuffies. For the record, I saw the (Rolling) Stones just once, at the Garden earlier this year (but did go out and buy 4 of their CDs the next day). Besides, Tommy's just pissed that he's older than me.

Sheesh, I'm not used to so much attention on these boards and such flattery as well. I was especially gratified that the wine I brought received the Plotnicki seal of approval (at least he was gracious enough to pretend it did anyway, and I'll just stay with the illusion). I have to say though, that I think I got the better end of the deal when that incredible riesling made it our way (even Alan Levine gave up on the evening's beer-only policy for that one). Not to mention the Shiraz from Rosie and the Balvennie from the Johnsons.

The sweetish whites really worked with the spiciness of the dishes, particularly the crab and spicy shrimp appetizer, the daal, the potato side dish, and the various chutneys. In my unschooled opinion, it works because the wine's alcohol activates the heat of the spices; but the sweetness is simultaneuosly refreshing to the palate. Sweet and hot seems to make for a good combination in any event - just one more thing I learned from last night.

I'm glad Hemant enjoyed himself last night, he certainly put on a show for us with the perfection that was coming out of his tandoors. As for the ballgame, the pleasure was ours - I love to watch the Yankees lose, and I love to go that shrine of a stadium especially with someone willing to endure me explaining the game (Ann thanks you for that one too). Besides, we got the better end of that deal as well when you took us to dinner at the, now sadly destroyed, Nirvana.

Edited by Damian (log)

Even though I have no right to, I feel somewhat proprietary about the dinner at Diwan. So it pains me to see the followup discussion littered with arguments that have nothing to do with it. These arguments are valid, but NOT HERE.

I have started another thread on the Site Tips board, and I wish that those who care to argue would move their discussion HERE. Thank you, and have a lovely evening.

My nominations for the three most outstanding dishes of the evening were the Bhel Puri on Tawa, Lamb Chop (with Apple cranberry chutney and mint rice) and Karari Bhindi (Crispy Okra), none of which I have experienced before, and which were all faultless in execution. I also loved the tamarind-based sauce (or chutney).

I want to second Macrosan's comments about the evening and his choices for dishes that live in my memory today. I once told Suvir that Indian food did not appeal to me. I have to revise my map entirely after last night's feast. Thank you Suvir.

The mood of cheer, friendliness and warmth among all attendees (with one ill-tempered exception I was made aware of :angry:--nuff said about that) left me with the feelings that our on-board verbal fisticuffs are superficial to the interests that connect us. This is truly a wonderful group of people. And I am grateful to Jason and company for providing the media that is defining the eGullet community.

I could manage just a plate of eggs today, I'm still satiated from the meal.

Jaybee,

Thanks for your sweet posts. I was somewhat nervous about Rosie and you. I was hoping you would each find at least one thing that would make you happy.... Glad it was more than just one.

And yes I was happy at the end of the night knowing that we all seemed to have had a great time.

And yes thanks are due to Jason and Fat Guy for providing this media where we have been able to indulge our passions and also meet people in person that share some of them.

eGullet is really special and I must say every member last night made an effort to showcase the site at its very best. Without much effort I should add. We were all naturals in being gracious company. :smile:

I have not forgotten your Tarte Tatin Jaybee... I still await a chance to taste it...:rolleyes::biggrin: