• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fat Loaf, Didsbury, Manchester

We needed a quick lunch near to home and an emailed flyer reminded us that a third branch of this South Manchester mini-chain had opened down the road. The flyer also told us that there was a lunchtime offer discounting main courses by 50%. That settled it - even before I remembered that "Timperley Chris" had given a mention here for the chain a week or so back

The restaurant occupies the premises that held the Steak & Kebab Restaurant for more years than I care to remember but instead of the old dark and rather depressing décor, the Fat Loaf is light, bright and modern. It doesn’t jar with the Grade 2 listed building status of the exterior. The menu is a good read as well. There’s a bar menu which might bring you a fish barmcake with mushy peas, or “pie of the month” with mash, but we opted for the main menu and its chance of 50% discount.

My wife started with a crayfish and hot smoked salmon cocktail. Pretty much a remake of a 70s prawn cocktail and none the worse for that. A good sized portion of contrasting fishy flavours, nice sauce, crunchy iceberg.

I had sardines on toast, with sweet & sour onions, sultanas and pine nuts. I bet the Sicilians have a name for this but sardines on toast was fine for me. It certainly worked as a dish, the flavours coming together nicely.

We both went for skirt steak as a main. Skirt isn’t a cut you see too often in these parts and this was a good bit of meat. It was cooked on the rare side of “medium rare” and I suspect this is one of those cases where the chef knows better than the punter. It was pretty much bang on, although my wife, who has eaten it in France says it’s served thinner there and is better for it. It came with chips – advertised as the abominable “fat chips” but these were proper chip-sized chips and were OK. Much less successful was a mushroom, onion, spinach and tomato bake on which the steak sat – in reality a gloop of fairly flavourless veggie stuff.

The main would have been pretty good value at just under £12; at just under six quid it was the best bargain I’ve had in goodly while. Bill, including for a beer and a bottle of water was £29. Good lunch – we’ll be back for dinner soon.

John Hartley

• 1 year later...

Another bargain lunch, this time compliments of Mrs H’s Hi-Life Dining Card (basically gives you a BOGOF).

Me – Devilled kidneys on toast. Meaty kidneys from Frost’s in Chorlton. Devilled sauce could have managed a tad more oomph. Nice thick slice of toast.

Her – Pea soup. Lovely – nothing more than a bang-on fresh pea taste. A slice of Kirkhams Lancashire on toast on the side.

Me - Free range ham hock (shreds of meat, wrapped in caul), merguez sausage, long cooked cabbage, mustard sauce, roast potatoes. Good ham and cabbage. Crisp spuds. Merguez needed more “poke” to make the whole dish zing, but that’s nit-picking. It was really was all very enjoyable.

Her – Did even better again. Lamb burger (thick, juicy, tasty), spiced red cabbage, home made tomato ketchup (thick, chunky, more of a pickle – damn good), chips.

Service was good and friendly. Waitress knowledgable about the wine of which they had several available by the glass.

John Hartley

• 3 weeks later...

Have used this place on a number of occasions and found it both good value and quality - better than any of the chains you might find yourself in around didsbury, particularly like the skirt steak, will try a mixed grill when I am in next time.

A tip for bargain eating here (and the branches in Altrincham & Sale) is to get on their email list. Often, they'll send out really good bargain offers at very short notice (i.e previous or even same day notification).

The skirt steak is, indeed, a winner and will probably put in an appearance on Monday evening (we're having a family gathering to celebrate my birthday).

John Hartley