• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shriveled Olives

nickrey

I recently found a packet of selected shriveled olives.

As usual having bought the new ingredient on impulse, the task now is to find out more about it.

Searching the Internet I came up with the translation of the Greek 'ΘΡОΥΜΠΕΣ,' which is Throubes (sometimes Throumbes). Apparently they come from Thassos and are fully ripened on the tree. They are then salted and stored in brine and oil.

I've thought of using them in places where I would typically use Kalamatas. My instinct is to make a tapenade with them as well.

Does anyone out there know anything more about these olives? Any suggestions on how to use them? What about storage? The latter is important as I have 2 kilos of them.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

If I'm not mistaken, what you have are what are more commonly known as oil cured olives (or sometimes, more correctly, salt cured). I'm only confused because you said they're stored in brine.

I usually snack on them, personally. You can also use them for tapenade (which then in turn can be used on chicken), in Moroccan dishes, in salad, etc. You'll have to dig around a little to find recipes, but it'll be a little easier if you used "oil cured" or "salt cured" in your query.

Keep them sealed up in your fridge in an airtight container and they should keep for maybe a few months (at least a month or two).

The Kitchn (Apartment Therapy) has a blurb on them here.

(edited to add some more info)

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

If I'm not mistaken, what you have are what are more commonly known as oil cured olives (or sometimes, more correctly, salt cured). I'm only confused because you said they're stored in brine.

Thanks for the information, it does look like the ones I have but the ingredients list on the vacuum sealed pack has olives, brine, salt, and oil.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Thanks for the information, it does look like the ones I have but the ingredients list on the vacuum sealed pack has olives, brine, salt, and oil.

Shriveled olives used to be popular here, I have used them to flavor quiche- together with dried tomatoes and goat cheese but they are versatile- great for a pie filling, sandwiches, dips...

Cheers, Sarah

http://sarahmelamed.com/