• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElsieD

ElsieD

On 8/25/2023 at 11:32 AM, rotuts said:

@ElsieD  

hoping the farm  will allow pics of its met counter.

I didn't take any pictures because the store consisted of 3 freezers and a cash register.  In such a small space I didn't feel comfortable whipping out my phone to take pictures.  I could have asked if it was okay but that didn't feel right either.  We did buy some stuff, but the only thing I bought that was different was frikandellen.  The following is from Wikipedia:

"It is the most popular fast food snack in the Netherlands, followed by kroket. According to the AKSV (the General Association of Manufacturers of Cooking Supplies and Snacks in the Netherlands) 600 million frikandellen are produced each year in the Netherlands. Most of these are also sold in the Netherlands, where more than 37 frikandellen are consumed per capita per year.[7][9]

ServingEdit

In the Netherlands, it is most often served with curry ketchup or mayonnaise, though some eat it with tomato ketchup, mustard or apple sauce. Very popular is a frikandel served together with mayonnaise, curry or ketchup and chopped raw onion: a frikandel speciaal.[7] The frikandel speciaal usually has a deep cut lengthwise through the middle to provide room for the chopped onions and the sauces. Some people prefer the taste of a frikandel if the cut is made before frying, resulting in a larger crisp surface. Sometimes the sausage is served on a bun and is then called a broodje frikandel."

There isn't much to look at, they look like sausages, so no picture.  

The rest of the stuff I bought were things like sausages,, beef patties, beef satay,  very mundane stuff and a small tri-tip steak.  But, we and the owner had a nice little chat and I found out that 3 of their pigs were losing their heads this week, so to speak, and I am getting 6 pork cheeks for $15 which I think is a great buy.  Also coming my way is a full tri-tip, a full picanha, and hopefully some beef cheeks.

ElsieD

ElsieD

@ElsieD  

I didn't take any pictures because the store consisted of 3 freezers and a cash register.  In such a small space I didn't feel comfortable whipping out my phone to take pictures.  I could have asked if it was okay but that didn't feel right either.  We did buy some stuff, but the only thing I bought that was different was frikandellen.  The following is from Wikipedia:

"It is the most popular fast food snack in the Netherlands, followed by kroket. According to the AKSV (the General Association of Manufacturers of Cooking Supplies and Snacks in the Netherlands) 600 million frikandellen are produced each year in the Netherlands. Most of these are also sold in the Netherlands, where more than 37 frikandellen are consumed per capita per year.[7][9]

ServingEdit

In the Netherlands, it is most often served with curry ketchup or mayonnaise, though some eat it with tomato ketchup, mustard or apple sauce. Very popular is a frikandel served together with mayonnaise, curry or ketchup and chopped raw onion: a frikandel speciaal.[7] The frikandel speciaal usually has a deep cut lengthwise through the middle to provide room for the chopped onions and the sauces. Some people prefer the taste of a frikandel if the cut is made before frying, resulting in a larger crisp surface. Sometimes the sausage is served on a bun and is then called a broodje frikandel."

The rest of the stuff I bought were things like sausages,, beef patties, beef satay,  very mundane stuff and a small tri-tip steak.  But, we and the owner had a nice little chat and I found out that 3 of their pigs were losing their heads this week, so to speak, and I am getting 6 pork cheeks for $15 which I think is a great buy.  Also coming my way is a full tri-tip, a full picanha, and hopefully some beef cheeks.

ElsieD

ElsieD

@ElsieD  

ServingEdit

ElsieD

ElsieD

@ElsieD  

I didn't take any pictures because the store consisted of 3 freezers and a xash register.  In such a small space I didn't feel comfortable whipping out my phone to take pictures.  I could have asked if it was okay but that didn't feel right either.  We did buy some stuff, but the only thing I bought that was different was frikandellen.  The following is from Wikipedia:

ServingEdit