• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver venue for large/rowdy dinner?

I am organizing a friend's birthday dinner, and the crowd will be young and large (20-25). Trying to decide on a venue which can handle and serve this size of a group effectively (and cheaply) without going to some miserable chain restaurant.

Priorities are good food, cheap drinks, good service. Style of food is not really relevant.

Already thought of:

-Guu (and other izakayas)

-La Bodega

Any cool spots I am missing out on?

You could talk to the folks at the Waldorf about booking one of the Polynesian rooms.

Oh yes: the Tiki room at the Waldorf! I love that place.

And, given that it's Vancouver, if you talk it over with the cooks there, you'll probably do a pretty good meal. (Drinking first, mind you!)

You could talk to the folks at the Waldorf about booking one of the Polynesian rooms.

Oh yes: the Tiki room at the Waldorf! I love that place.

And, given that it's Vancouver, if you talk it over with the cooks there, you'll probably do a pretty good meal. (Drinking first, mind you!)

Brilliant idea! That should be a blast. I haven't been since the velour lounge scene was in full schwing.

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

Unfortunately we don't have enough people to book a private room (most are minimum 40 or 50) so that isn't going to work.

Right now I have booked with the Alibi Room, who seem really competent at handling large parties. Plus I know the food and drink there is an outstanding value.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.