• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

braising in buttermilk?

ztutz

OK, so we're finishing this month's batch of butter right now, which means a quart of buttermilk goes into the fridge.

And I'm planning to braise some meat tomorrow...

Carnitas recipes sometimes call for milk. Would the buttermilk make a good braising liquid? I usually use stock and/or citrus juices, but why not?

Any guidance or war stories? Thanks!

-- point pinto in no top pit

I have braised turkey legs and pork shanks in buttermilk with good results.

I would advise you first try a small batch of the meat because sometimes the acid in the buttermilk (or yogurt, which I have also tried) will cause the meat to become somewhat mealy.

I ruined a whole chicken this way some years ago in one of my experiments. If the meat is tough or strong, it works much better. I know a Basque family who braises mutton in buttermilk and it turns out very nice. I am not a big fan of lamb and ordinarily won't eat mutton at all but it is very good the way they prepare it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have braised turkey legs and pork shanks in buttermilk with good results.

I would advise you first try a small batch of the meat because sometimes the acid in the buttermilk (or yogurt, which I have also tried) will cause the meat to become somewhat mealy.

I ruined a whole chicken this way some years ago in one of my experiments.  If the meat is tough or strong, it works much better.  I know a Basque family who braises mutton in buttermilk and it turns out very nice.  I am not a big fan of lamb and ordinarily won't eat mutton at all but it is very good the way they prepare it.

Thanks for the cautionary tale!

I think of many braising liquids as already being pretty acidic? (Wine, orange juice, tomatoes...) I wonder if there is something else going on. Nonetheless, I'll be careful with it, and try it out on a few ribs.

-- point pinto in no top pit

Goat shanks braised in buttermilk is nice -- great for a coconut curry.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack