• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Head Cheese

senorguanciale

Okay. So Ive got a couple questions Im hoping the more experienced folks could advise me on. Im attempting to cure a rolled "headcheese", which is really just jowl and head meat rolled. Its pretty thick, about 4" in diameter, and about 6"long. The fat on the outside is still fairly moist, and it has been in a curing chamber at 52F and 70-75% humidity for about 2.5 weeks. The fat is still soft, and moist, and Im wondering how long it might take to hang until its ready. (check my blog for pics of this.)

The method is as follows: Take a pigs head, take the meat off in one piece, roll, tie, poach for 6 hrs, cool. This is the French Laundry recipe for warm pigs head, which Ive been eating, but I wanted a cured product. So after cooking, I cured it with a mix of salt, cure #2, sugar, thyme, pepper, garlic, coriander, and pepper flakes for 1 week. It has been hanging since.

How long should it take, and what might be some indicator, since Im effectively curing guanciale + meat which is rolled...??

Thanks!

Okay. So Ive got a couple questions Im hoping the more experienced folks could advise me on.  Im attempting to cure a rolled "headcheese", which is really just jowl and head meat rolled.  Its pretty thick, about 4" in diameter, and about 6"long. The fat on the outside is still fairly moist, and it has been in a curing chamber at 52F and 70-75% humidity for about 2.5 weeks. The fat is still soft, and moist, and Im wondering how long it might take to hang until its ready. (check my blog for pics of this.)

The method is as follows: Take a pigs head, take the meat off in one piece, roll, tie, poach for 6 hrs, cool.  This is the French Laundry recipe for warm pigs head, which Ive been eating, but I wanted a cured product.  So after cooking, I cured it with a mix of salt, cure #2, sugar, thyme, pepper, garlic, coriander, and pepper flakes for 1 week.  It has been hanging since.

How long should it take, and what might be some indicator, since Im effectively curing guanciale + meat which is rolled...??

Thanks!

I'm having a hard time imagining what the final product will look like, as I've never encountered a preparation which is cooked first, then cured and hung. Have you ever done something like this before? You can always slice a piece off.

Edited by Mallet (log)

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

There is no bacterial starter, since its a whole cut, which was rolled. It is not stuffed inside a casing since it looks similar pancetta, it's tied. I havent checked the acidity; Ive got no way to. Ive taken the ratio of cure#2 and pared it down based on the weight the roll. Its an experiment, and Im not gonna flip out if it doesnt turn out. Ive got coppa curing too, so Im holding out for that. :cool:

Im really going by feel on this one, and hoping it keeps firming up and losing weight.

Edited by senorguanciale (log)

I am not sure I understand exactly what you are trying to cure. Is it just the rolled up cooked meat or does it include the gelatinized cooking liquid?

I am really curious about your experiment, please let us know how it is evolving.

Is there another name for this? I typically think of "head cheese" as a specific product, more of a terrine. I saw a video this past summer of Chris Cosentino doing something more like this, a roll formed from the meat off the head, but I can't for the life of me remember what he called it (probably something Italian...). Anyone know?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Is there another name for this? I typically think of "head cheese" as a specific product, more of a terrine. I saw a video this past summer of Chris Cosentino doing something more like this, a roll formed from the meat off the head, but I can't for the life of me remember what he called it (probably something Italian...). Anyone know?

I saw that video on Gourmet.com yesterday, its called "porchetta di testa". Im basically curing a small portion of that.

heres the {link}

• 1 month later...