• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

11 hours ago, andiesenji said:

Here's one I used to use.  Haven't thought of it for a few years since I don't do big dinners now.

Josie Speight  was a nurse I worked with for 20 years. She was a twin and had an enormous family, thought nothing of doing T-Day  or other holiday dinners for  FORTY.  i was invited a few times.

JOSIE’S CRANBERRY GELATIN SALAD

2  cups fresh or frozen cranberries

1 1/4 cups sugar

1 cup water

1 (6-oz) pkg ORANGE gelatin powder

1 cup boiling water

1 (8-oz) pkg cream cheese -- softened

1/2 pint sour cream

2 cans mandarin orange segments, 11oz -- well drained 

1 cup ORANGE soda  You can substitute orange juice  but add a rounded tablespoon of sugar.

1/2 cup pecans -- chopped

This sounds a lot closer to what I remember than anything I've found online -- thank you! I'm wondering if the recipe we made was a simplification of something like this. I had rejected the notion of cream cheese being involved because I was sure there was sour cream, but maybe they were both involved...

Funnily enough, I think the recipe my mom used was from my aunt, who was also a twin. I asked her years ago if she still had a copy and she never remembered having had the recipe in the first place!

(Edited to add: the first three ingredients are basically whole berry cranberry sauce, and if you were molding it instead of making in a dish, you'd probably have reduced the liquid. I think I'm going to try omitting the cup of soda, use lemon Jell-O, and see where it gets me...)

dtremit

dtremit

11 hours ago, andiesenji said:

Here's one I used to use.  Haven't thought of it for a few years since I don't do big dinners now.

Josie Speight  was a nurse I worked with for 20 years. She was a twin and had an enormous family, thought nothing of doing T-Day  or other holiday dinners for  FORTY.  i was invited a few times.

JOSIE’S CRANBERRY GELATIN SALAD

2  cups fresh or frozen cranberries

1 1/4 cups sugar

1 cup water

1 (6-oz) pkg ORANGE gelatin powder

1 cup boiling water

1 (8-oz) pkg cream cheese -- softened

1/2 pint sour cream

2 cans mandarin orange segments, 11oz -- well drained 

1 cup ORANGE soda  You can substitute orange juice  but add a rounded tablespoon of sugar.

1/2 cup pecans -- chopped

This sounds a lot closer to what I remember than anything I've found online -- thank you! I'm wondering if the recipe we made was a simplification of something like this. I had rejected the notion of cream cheese being involved because I was sure there was sour cream, but maybe they were both involved...

Funnily enough, I think the recipe my mom used was from my aunt, who was also a twin. I asked her years ago if she still had a copy and she never remembered having had the recipe in the first place!