• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Belly with Crackling still Attached

Christopher Haatuft

Here in Norway we have a tradition of cooking pork belly for Christmas. The traditional way is to rub it with salt a day or two before cooking it, placing it in the sheet pan in the oven, skin side up. Then we pour about a cup of water in the dish, place a little saucer under the belly (so that the fat runs of) and cover with foil. The skin is kept on, but scored. The belly is then cooked for about 45 minutes under the foil at about 250 degrees C. Then the foil is taken of and it is finihed at 200 degress for about an hour and a half.

I would like to try it by brining it first, instead of rubbing it with salt and adding chicken stock instead of water.

I have not yet seen any non-Norwegian recipe for pork belly with the cripsy skin still on. Do any of you have similar recipies? What would you do if you were to make a similar dish? any ways to improve this norwegian classic?

ribbe.jpg

Here's how I do it.

1) Cut through the skin across the width of the belly piece. The cuts should be about 1/4 to 3/8th inch apart & parallel.

Rub some coarse salt into the cuts.

2) Peel the cut 3 or four large onions in half.

3) Arrange the onions cut side down in a deep roasting pan then place the pork belly over them meat side down. (The idea is that the onions make a sort of trivet or rack so the fat can run free. Also, the onions will be delicious served with the belly pork.)

4) Roast in a 120 degree Centigrade oven for at 3, but 4 hours is even better.

5) Take the pork out & turn on the broiler of the oven. When hot put the pork back in on a low shelf.

6) Watch like a hawk!! Pull it out just as soon as the crackling is formed. You may need to turn the belly once.

7) Let rest then slice along the cuts in the skin to make nice portions.

Works every time. I'll be doing one later this week & will try to remember to take pictures.