• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[DFW] Central Market

Richard Kilgore

Browsing at the deli meat counter the other day I noticed they have a selection of several capers in bulk. Sampled them. Some in sherry, salted ones and large devina capers that were crunchy delicious. All better than any jarred ones I have had.

Anyone tried these?

• 3 weeks later...

It's the last day of the Hatch Chile Festival at Central Market stores. They have been roasting huge quantities of Hatch chile peppers from New Mexico since last weekend, and I have been eating Hatch chiles in a little of everything since then.

These photos were taken at the South Lake store. There were three of these rotary pepper grillers going most of the time.

gallery_7582_6765_140744.jpg

gallery_7582_6765_10230.jpg

gallery_7582_6765_72579.jpg

gallery_7582_6765_131107.jpg

• 5 months later...

I don't use canned or jar soups very often, but I got a jar of the Tomato Basil in a jar that they are demo-cooking-promoting this week...about six months ago and put it on a shelf. Well, a couple of nights ago the temp had dropped again and it was cold and I was lazy and not really hungry, so I found the jar. I expected it to be better than Campbell's, of course, but didn't expect much. Wow! I could eat this cold. Had a cup of it for dinner and then the next morning for breakfast I poached two eggs in it.

The soups are pricey, but if you get them during a promo they are often cheaper - merely expensive. Right now the deal is buy a jar of the Tortilla soup for $8.99 and get the Tomato Basil for free. I still have the unopened Tortilla from the time I bought the Tomato Basil, so can't say as much about it.