• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

grainy gritty chocolate

Lior

I have a large amount of chocolate that got gritty. It wasn't closed well so I assume it got moisture from the air... When I tried melting it I saw blobs and grits- probably sugar and milk-awful!!

Even for ganache it is gritty. Should I just say good bye to it? It is about 2 kilos. It is very annoying!

If melted and cream added it's still gritty - I'm not sure if this chocolate can be saved!

How warm did you take it before adding the other ganache ingredients? If it's anything crystalline then warming the chocolate sufficiently should melt it out.

I've had this happen before. If you blitz it with a hand blender while stirring it can come back together. Otherwise you can sift it with a very fine sieve (I haven't actually done the second option myself but I have heard of it being done before)

It was still gritty after melting it and adding cream. It is very odd because I stored it in the melter with the lid ononly to discover a few weeks later that the lid was not properly closed and perhaps the lid is not enough anyway (?). I guess at 80% humidity, that did it. I don't want to burn it, but I just could not melt the grits out!! I tried with my cheapo emulsifier and as luck would have it, the blade fellout and into the chocolate (when it rains, it pours) so now Ihave to get a nice good one, but in the meanwhile I have this goopy mess. I wonder if I should throw it out and forget about it. It is so annoying- good Jivara in such a state! I will have to be more careful about storage. Nothing like experience for a teacher.